Subject: Re: [Dcrup] draft-ietf-dcrup-dkim-crypto-00

From: "John R. Levine" <[email-masked]>
Date: 19 May 2017 21:03:11 -0400

In article <CAOj=[email-masked]>,
Peter Goldstein  <[email-masked]> wrote:
>The challenges with 2048 bit RSA are largely an issue of the limitations of
>the DNS infrastructure in use by the sending domain.  In some DNS managers,
>the Web UIs (and occasionally the underlying infrastructure) don't allow
>domain owners to enter records that are larger than 512 octets.  Users of
>these DNS managers generally cannot provision 2048 bit key DKIM TXT
>records. ...

The problem isn't the 512 byte limit, since a 2K key is under 400
bytes.  The problem is provisioning crudware that can't create TXT
records with two strings.  But until the crudware is updated, which
will likely be never, it's a problem.

R's,
John

---

From: Peter Goldstein <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2017 18:10:01 -0700

Yes, sorry.  You're right - it's the 255 byte limit of the individual
strings that's the issue.

And yes, the crudware will never be updated.

Best,

Peter

On Fri, May 19, 2017 at 6:03 PM, John R. Levine <[email-masked]> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> Dcrup mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dcrup
>

-- 

Bringing Trust to Email

Peter Goldstein | CTO & Co-Founder

[email-masked]
+1.415.793.5783