Subject: Re: [Ietf-and-github] Legal notices (was: Re: A possible way of keeping WG informed of github tracked issues?

From: "Hodges, Jeff" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2016 17:26:13 +0000

On 2/1/16, 7:26 PM, "Charles Eckel (eckelcu)" [email-masked]> wrote:
>https://github.com/martinthomson/i-d-template/blob/master/template/CONTRIB
>UTING.md is a great example and addresses many of the concerns others
>have raised
> about github usage, but I agree with Brian that it would be better to
>include a ptr to the Note Well than a snapshot of it.

+1

Also, BTW, the W3C has pretty well worked out how to incorp github.com
repos into their processes, including mailing lists (as Harald noted
upthread).

Here's some info that we IETF oughta at least look at and perhaps
borrow/leverage..

mailing list integration w/github issues & pull requests & pushes, etc:

  https://github.com/dontcallmedom/github-notify-ml/

  note that https://github.com/dontcallmedom/github-notify-ml/index.py
needs
to be installed and configured on a internet-accessible web server, and
registered with github.com as a webhook endpoint. how the W3C's instance
is config'd is noted here:
https://github.com/dontcallmedom/github-notify-ml#w3c-instance

License/Contributing legal boilerplate:

  https://github.com/w3c/licenses

HTH,

=JeffH

>
>On 2/1/16, 4:04 AM, "Ietf-and-github on behalf of Brian E Carpenter"
><[email-masked] on behalf of
>[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>>On 01/02/2016 15:39, Mark Nottingham wrote:
>>>>On 1 Feb 2016, at 1:24 pm, Brian E Carpenter
>>>><[email-masked]> wrote:
>>>>
>>>>IANAL, but my understanding is that it is generally better to point to
>>>>the official
>>>>rules than to generate copies in each place or to add explanatory
>>>>material
>>>>that might unintentionally modify the interpretation. So maybe we
>>>>should
>>>>create a short CONTRIBUTING.md and request the IETF counsel to check
>>>>it.
>>>I think that's the function of NOTE WELL, isn't it?
>>>Each WG might have additional information they want to add, so I don't
>>>think we could have each one be exactly the same, but maybe what we
>>>need is ( NOTE_WELL + ADDITIONAL_GITHUB_SPECIFICS? + WG_STUFF ).
>>
>>Sure, but the NOTE WELL is not a universal constant, and may change from
>>time to time, which is why I used:
>>
>>This repository is for an IETF effort and falls under IETF rules: see
>>http://www.ietf.org/about/note-well.html
>><http://www.ietf.org/about/note-well.html>
>>
>>    Brian
>>
>>_______________________________________________
>>Ietf-and-github mailing list
>>[email-masked]
>>https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-and-github
>>
>
>

---

From: =JeffH <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2016 15:20:36 -0700

see also...

    Using GitHub for W3C specifications
    https://www.w3.org/2015/Talks/1217-github-w3c/#/

On 4/22/16, 10:26 AM, "Ietf-and-github on behalf of Hodges, Jeff"
<[email-masked] on behalf of [email-masked]>
wrote:

+1

HTH,

=JeffH