Subject: Re: [Json] I-JSON Topic #3: Unicode

From: John Cowan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2014 13:16:13 -0400

> draft-i-json-01 excludes the use of, and I quote, “Surrogates or
> Noncharacters”.   Is that the right use of Unicode nomenclature?  This
> really matters and I think it’s OK now, but first-class Unicode lawyering
> is required here.

It should say "code points which represent unpaired surrogates or
noncharacters."  The statement "\uDEAD is always illegal" is incorrect;
it is entirely legal in the sequence "\uD800\uDEAD", which represents
U+102AD CARIAN LETTER T.  Rather it should say that "\uDEAD" is illegal
unless preceded by an escape between "\uD800" and "\uDBFF" inclusive.

-- 
John Cowan          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan        [email-masked]
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths
led. And through the air. I am he that walks unseen.  I am the clue-finder,
the web-cutter, the stinging fly. I was chosen for the lucky number.  --Bilbo

---

From: Tim Bray <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2014 10:21:43 -0700

Actually, the statement currently is

<<<<
thus, "\uDEAD" is always illegal.

And that is in fact correct if you look close at the quotation marks; 23
pedantry points to ME!  Having said that, it would be improved by saying
"\uDEAD" is always illegal because it is an unpaired surrogate, while
"\uD800\uDEAD" is legal.

On Tue, Apr 29, 2014 at 10:16 AM, John Cowan <[email-masked]> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> json mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/json
>