Subject: RE: [midcom] Midcom protocol specification and status

From: "Mary Barnes"<[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 16:55:13 -0500

The MIDCOM protocol evaluation document (for which I'm the editor) will be
submitted very soon - I'm in the midst of completing edits.  It should be in
your mailbox by Monday morning. The purpose of this evaluation was to
evaluate existing protocols as the MIDCOM protocol with the following being
considered:

SNMP:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-quittek-midcom-snmp-eval-00.txt

DIAMETER:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-taylor-midcom-diameter-eval-01.txt

RSIP:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-renkel-rsip-midcom-eval-01.txt

MEGACO:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-sct-midcom-megaco-02.txt

COPS:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-aoun-midcom-cops-02.txt

I would suggest that you wait till Monday rather than review these
individual drafts as the majority of the content is being edited into the WG
draft and comments need to be directed at that document rather than to the
individual ones going forward.

Regards,
Mary H. Barnes
[email-masked]
972-684-5432
Wireless 817-703-4806

-----Original Message-----
From: Thomas Huang [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, May 24, 2002 12:23 PM
To: Mark Pietras; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [midcom] Midcom protocol specification and status

Hello Mark,

Thank you very much for the info and update.

Would you be kind enough to email some proposed protocol drafts that may
make their way to publication? I got the impression that you are involved in
the reviewing them and drafting.

It apears that this MIDCOM framework/architecture would provide the solution
for complete new deployment using this type of controllable middlebox.
However are there efforts also in the making also addressing the deployment
of voip in existing FW/NAT environment?

I studied some sip/rtp proxy drafts from SIP/SIPPING group as well as some
early packet relay in MGCP drafts. Is this group trying to consolidate the
different approaches? as the one I mentioned?

You said companies have started to build the boxes based on midcom
architecture and some in production. I know Cisco doesn't offer it yet (to
my limited knowledge). How could customers be assured that the
boxes/hardware they buy today will be upgradable when there is a standard?

Could you please kindly tell me if I could find the active member list of
this midcom working group?

Regards,
Thomas

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of
Mark Pietras
Sent: Friday, May 24, 2002 7:42 AM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [midcom] Midcom protocol specification and status

Thomas,

- There is no protocol specification at this point.  The work is in
progress.  Currently the working group is doing two things: 1) working
the STUN portion of the current charter which addresses short-term needs
and a specific market, and 2) working the protocol portion of the
current charter by evaluating several different protocol proposals
against the framework/requirements docs as candidates for the actual
Midcom protocol.

- There are several vendors developing "Midcom boxes" currently.  Some
even have some in production networks.  They generally follow the Midcom
architecture, but currently use different protocols for policy control
as there is no standard yet.  Hence the current charter of this working
group.  Most of the vendors actively work in or at least follow this
group, so I'm sure each would suggest they "lead the pack."

Mark.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Thomas Huang
Sent: Friday, May 24, 2002 11:23 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [midcom] Midcom protocol specification and status

I have studied the three major doc in the repository:
- Midcom architecture and framework
- Midcom requirement
- STUN

But I can't find the MidCom protocol specification itself. Could you
please
help?
- any draft spec that this group is working on
- what's the concensus among the group and other related groups about
midcom
  (SIP, MGCP, MEGACO)
- Are there vendors starting to develop midcom boxes following the
architecture?
  I am in the process of meeting a couple of vendors, but they don't say
in
literature
  what they follow. If yes, who are leading the pack?

Thanks for any help.

Thomas

_______________________________________________
midcom mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/midcom

_______________________________________________
midcom mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/midcom

_______________________________________________
midcom mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/midcom