Subject: [midcom] new draft on session policies in SIP

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 May 2002 22:09:09 -0400

Folks,

I've just submitted a new I-D on "Supporting Intermediary Session
Policies in SIP" that I think will be of interest to both MIDCOM and
SIPPING. Until this draft appears in the archives, you can pick up a
copy at:

http://www.jdrosen.net/papers/draft-rosenberg-sipping-session-policy-00.txt

The draft is aiming to solve the paradox we have found ourselves in
around "firewall control proxies". The sip spec forbids proxies from
modifying the SDP, yet to be a MIDCOM-capable proxy, it may need to do
that. The draft proposes a general framework for allowing proxies to
have a say in session policies of all sorts, such as insertion of media
intermediaries, codec grooming, and so on, without violating the SIP
architecture, and with full cooperation and consent of end systems. It
then provides details on an instantiation of the framework to support
media intermediaries.

Comments and questions are welcome, as always.

Finally, as required of me by IETF policies, I must inform the group
that I believe that dynamicsoft may have IPR associated with this draft.
Fortunately, its being made available under our "free if you don't bug
us" policy, documented at
http://www.ietf.org/ietf/IPR/DYNAMICSOFT-SIP-UNIFY.txt.

Thanks,
Jonathan R.
-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.            72 Eagle Rock Avenue
Chief Scientist                         First Floor
dynamicsoft                             East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                 FAX: (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                  PH:  (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

_______________________________________________
midcom mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/midcom