Subject: RE: [midcom] New MIDCOM protocol semantics draft

From: "Tom-PT Taylor" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 00:55:25 -0400

This may be a naive question, but are state machines part of the semantic
specification or do they go beyond it to protocol?

-----Original Message-----
From: Martin Stiemerling [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Saturday, June 22, 2002 8:53 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [midcom] New MIDCOM protocol semantics draft

Hi,

we have posted a new I-D with respect to MIDCOM protocol semantics.
Until the draft is available in the I-D directory, a can find a copy at 
this server
http://diana.zam.fh-koeln.de/~mstiemerling/draft-stiemerling-midcom-semantic
s-01.txt

The changes are to the -00 draft are:
- Added state machines for session, group and policy rule control.
- Modified Introduction.

_______________________________________________
midcom mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/midcom

_______________________________________________
midcom mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/midcom

---

From: Martin Stiemerling <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 09:04:07 +0200

> specification or do they go beyond it to protocol?

In my opinion they belong in the semantics, since they only show the 
transactions and their dependencies in another manner.

Martin

---

From: Juergen Quittek <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 17:17:17 +0200

--On 24 June 2002 09:04 +0200 Martin Stiemerling <[email-masked]> wrote:

> In my opinion they belong in the semantics, since they only show
> the transactions and their dependencies in another manner.

State machines are one means for specifying and/or clarifying semantics.
Another one would be specifying preconditions and postconditions for
each transaction, e.g precondition(session established),
transaction(close session), postcondition(connection closed).

The state machines provided in the semantics draft serve to clarify
the semantics and to show the simplicity of the composed set of
transactions.

Indepenedent of which protocol we will choose for midcom, I expect
the concrete protocol state machine to be more complex than the one
in the semantics draft, particularly if we choose a general purpose
protocol, such as COPS, SNMP or Megaco.

    Juergen
-- 
Juergen Quittek     [email-masked]     Tel: +49 6221 90511-15
NEC Europe Ltd.,    Network Laboratories     Fax: +49 6221 90511-55
Adenauerplatz 6, 69115 Heidelberg, Germany   http://www.ccrle.nec.de