Subject: REMINDER: Mailing list discussion of protocol evaluation document ends Monday ( was RE: [midcom] SNMP - using as a transport layer?

From: "Mary Barnes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 13:55:49 -0500

Well, the political debate incited by the SNMP thread has been quite
interesting for a Friday, however, there is one issue open with regards to
SNMP and the MIDCOM framework that we do need to address to complete the
Protocol evaluation work. 

The SNMP evaluation has equated the SNMP Manager to be the MIDCOM Agent and
the SNMP Agent to be the MIDCOM PDP.  It appears that there is an underlying
assumption which was not made by the evaluation that the MIDCOM PDP is part
of the Middlebox.  Otherwise, this evaluation isn't germane to the topic at
hand of defining the MIDCOM protocol. However, I've not received
confirmation that this is indeed an underlying assumption. 

My proposal would be to change the SNMP evaluation to state that the SNMP
Agent is in the Middlebox in this model (rather than as it is now that the
"SNMP Agent corresponds to the Midcom PDP") and replace the references to
"MIDCOM PDP" to "Middlebox".

So, I would appreciate views on this proposal and discussion of this topic
to close off the document prior to noon CST on Monday (June 24th).

Regards,
Mary H. Barnes
[email-masked]
972-684-5432
Wireless 817-703-4806

_______________________________________________
midcom mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/midcom

---

From: Juergen Quittek <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 17:05:59 +0200

Mary,

> "MIDCOM PDP" to "Middlebox".

I support your proposal.

    Juergen