Subject: RE: [midcom] Protocol Eval: 2.2.4 Lifetime extension - DIAMETER

From: "Mary Barnes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 11:18:42 -0500

Hi Martin,

I don't see that the DIAMETER proposal is suggesting anything new to support
this Lifetime extension.  My understanding is that the DIAMETER proposal
does not depend upon this association of a DIAMETER session with a MIDCOM
session and I think the DIAMETER proposal is clearly suggesting otherwise.
There is text in the overview section 1.4.1 that specifies that "Each
application provides its own definition of the semantics of a session". 

This is open for discussion, but at this time, the only change I would agree
to make would be to clearly spell out in section 1.4.2 that this evaluation
of DIAMETER associates the DIAMETER session with the lifetime of a MIDCOM
Policy Rule. 

Mary. 

-----Original Message-----
From: Martin Stiemerling [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, June 24, 2002 7:33 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [midcom] Protocol Eval: 2.2.4 Lifetime extension

- DIAMETER
"The Diameter concept of a session includes the session lifetime, grace 
period, and lifetime extension. It may make sense to associate the 
Diameter session with the lifetime of a Midcom Policy Rule, in which 
case support for lifetime extension comes ready-made."

Doesn't it make more sense to associate a DIAMETER session with MIDCOM 
session? This a big question to me! Anyway the compliance would be at 
least only 'P+' since the lifetime extension of a rule is not directly 
available.

-- 
Martin Stiemerling

NEC Europe Ltd. -- Network Laboratories  [email-masked]
IPv4: http://www.ccrle.nec.de  IPv6: http://www.ipv6.ccrle.nec.de

_______________________________________________
midcom mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/midcom

_______________________________________________
midcom mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/midcom

---

From: Martin Stiemerling <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 12:31:08 +0200

> application provides its own definition of the semantics of a session". 

This definition is OK, but please see below.

> of DIAMETER associates the DIAMETER session with the lifetime of a MIDCOM

I've just read the first pages of the diameter draft (Version -11) again 
and have seen that there a multiple session definitions: Multi-Session, 
Session and Sub-Session. What is now related to what? Here is again a 
clarification needed by the authors. One idea may be to use Sessions for 
groups and sub-sessions for policy rules and how about linking one 
multi-session to a MIDCOM session?

-- 
Martin Stiemerling