Subject: RE: [midcom] Protocol Eval: 2.1.3 Middlebox can relate to multipl e Agents

From: "Mary Barnes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 07:31:56 -0500

Martin and Cedric,

On this one, we already agreed in the thread on Wednesday
http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/midcom/current/msg02391.htm
l
to clarify that this is for COPS-PR.  I would propose that we delete the
last sentence for COPS is section 2.1.3 as that seems to be adding more
confusion than clarity to this discussion.

Mary.

-----Original Message-----
From: Martin Stiemerling [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, June 27, 2002 9:35 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [midcom] Protocol Eval: 2.1.3 Middlebox can relate to
multipl e Agents

Cedric Aoun wrote:
> Martin,
> My statement for COPS against the compliance to req 2.1.3 is accurate, 
> the COPS protocol doesn't preclude having several PEPs on the same 
> machine. The COPS protocol specification defines only the client server 
> protocol and not where the clients are hosted.
Cedric,

You're right. The COPS protocol doesn't preclude having several PEPs on 
the same machine.
But:
Section 2.1.3 on COPS says "An underlying resource management layer, 
outside the scope of the COPS framework, could be applied to provide any 
conflict resolution"
The problem:
When several PEPs are running on the same middlebox, and they all 
configure the middlebox, how to ensure a known and stable state and 
solve conflicts within COPS?
The proposed solution of section 2.1.3 isn't a solution, it just moves 
the problem into another layer.

Martin

> Cedric

_______________________________________________
midcom mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/midcom

_______________________________________________
midcom mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/midcom

---

From: Martin Stiemerling <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 16:14:48 +0200

> confusion than clarity to this discussion.

OK.

-- 
Martin Stiemerling

NEC Europe Ltd. -- Network Laboratories  [email-masked]
IPv4: http://www.ccrle.nec.de  IPv6: http://www.ipv6.ccrle.nec.de