Subject: RE: REMINDER: Mailing list discussion of protocol evaluation docu ment ends Monday ( was RE: [midcom] SNMP - using as a transport layer?

From: "Tom-PT Taylor" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 17:20:30 -0400

This is much the more natural way of looking at things from my point of
view.  Maybe I'm naive, but I thought the terms of reference set up by our
framework required us to talk about the protocol between the MA and the MB.
Of course, there's more than one way to skin a cat, but I think IETF process
requires us to acknowledge a shift in direction like that.

-----Original Message-----
From: Barnes, Mary [NGC:B602:EXCH] 
Sent: Friday, June 21, 2002 2:56 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: REMINDER: Mailing list discussion of protocol evaluation
document ends Monday ( was RE: [midcom] SNMP - using as a transport
layer?

Well, the political debate incited by the SNMP thread has been quite
interesting for a Friday, however, there is one issue open with regards to
SNMP and the MIDCOM framework that we do need to address to complete the
Protocol evaluation work. 

The SNMP evaluation has equated the SNMP Manager to be the MIDCOM Agent and
the SNMP Agent to be the MIDCOM PDP.  It appears that there is an underlying
assumption which was not made by the evaluation that the MIDCOM PDP is part
of the Middlebox.  Otherwise, this evaluation isn't germane to the topic at
hand of defining the MIDCOM protocol. However, I've not received
confirmation that this is indeed an underlying assumption. 

My proposal would be to change the SNMP evaluation to state that the SNMP
Agent is in the Middlebox in this model (rather than as it is now that the
"SNMP Agent corresponds to the Midcom PDP") and replace the references to
"MIDCOM PDP" to "Middlebox".

So, I would appreciate views on this proposal and discussion of this topic
to close off the document prior to noon CST on Monday (June 24th).

Regards,
Mary H. Barnes
[email-masked]
972-684-5432
Wireless 817-703-4806

_______________________________________________
midcom mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/midcom

_______________________________________________
midcom mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/midcom