Subject: [midcom] Semantics Of "Session"

From: "Tom-PT Taylor" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2002 11:32:35 -0400

In the discussion at Yokohama, I gained the impression that people's
understanding of the MIDCOM session varied.  It did appear from our
discussion of rule takeover and rule lifetime that policy rules are created
within sessions, but there is no reason for the Middlebox to remember in
what session a given rule was created.

Is there any semantic content to a MIDCOM session, then, except as a policy
context for the Middlebox to use when evaluating requests from the Agent?  

Tom Taylor
[email-masked]
Ph. +1 613 736 0961 (ESN 396 1490)

_______________________________________________
midcom mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/midcom

---

From: Scott Brim <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2002 11:46:05 -0400

> context for the Middlebox to use when evaluating requests from the Agent?  

During your presentation, and occasionally in others, I would ask myself
"what's a session?".  There are no semantics that need a session
concept.  However there needs to be shared state on both ends, including
a cookie which can be assigned to rules and used arbitrarily.  We can
conceive of uses for it today (like 'I'm done with everything with
cookie xyzzy'), and there may be more in the future.