Subject: [midcom] RE: Protocol Eval - 2.2.1 - RSIP Extensibility - P+ -> T ? ( wa s RE: Proposed changes to RSIP evaluation

From: "Mary Barnes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2002 15:50:37 -0500

Hi all,

Based upon the responses to Jim's email thread on this topic, I think there
is general concensus to change 2.2.1 to T for RSIP.  

In addition, this thread highlighted a key aspect as to the level or
readiness of extensibility with the following summary, which I've liberally
copied from Tom's email and added COPS:

SNMP and COPS (most extensible): extensions require absolutely no change to
the 
protocol itself. 
 
DIAMETER: extension mechanism provided, does mean protocol 
changes, but extensions can be handled by other DIAMETER entities without
being 
understood.  (Actually not sure that this property is relevant or useful in 
the MIDCOM case.) 

MEGACO: extension mechanism provided, does mean protocol changes, both ends 
have to understand the extensions. 

RSIP: no formal extension mechanism; extensions have to be designed into the

protocol from scratch.  

My proposal to ensure that we capture this aspect of the evaluation and
include some text in the conclusion, following the controversial table
capturing this information, to highlight that this is key to considering the
impact of P+ for a specific protocol. I'll propose specific text when I get
down to editting again early tomorrow. Folks that participated in this
thread are also welcome to craft the proposed text.

Regards,
Mary.

_______________________________________________
midcom mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/midcom