Subject: [midcom] Protocol eval: 2.2.3 RSIP - proposal to change score and text

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2002 16:42:48 -0500

Middlebox experts,

As I have said in a previous e-mail, RSIP clearly may be extended, with
backward compatibility, to support ruleset groups.

This would be accomplished by having an optional "group" parameter on
appropriate requests and responses. On an ASSIGN request the group
parameter would indicate the existing group to which the new binding
is to be added; if the parameter is omitted, a new group would be
created. The response to a successful ASSIGN request would include a
group parameter indicating the group to which the binding has been
added. By having the group parameter optional on ASSIGN requests with a
new group created if not specified, backward compatibility with the
existing RSIP semantics is preserved.

RSIP is currently scored a P on this requirement when it should, in
my opinion, clearly be a P+.

I propose that the score of RSIP for this requirement be changed to P+,
and the text changed to:

     A group parameter, with a default value on requests of create
     new group to maintain backward compatibility, can be added to
     appropriate requests and responses.

Comments expected and welcome.

Jim

_______________________________________________
midcom mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/midcom