Subject: RE: [midcom] MIDCOM Protocol Evaluation - Proposed changes to SNM P - Section 1 .1.1

From: "Cedric Aoun" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2002 18:02:15 +0200

Mary,
I think you should also add that for reliability purposes SNMP is not
applicable.
SNMPv2 provides reliability of notifications sent from the MB (i.e the SNMP
agent) by using INFORM instead of TRAPs as they are not acked.
Basically all I'm saying is that for all needs, SNMPv3 is required to meet
the current compliancy statements.
Cedric

-----Original Message-----
From: Barnes, Mary [NGC:B602:EXCH] 
Sent: 26 July 2002 22:53
To: [email-masked]'
Subject: [midcom] MIDCOM Protocol Evaluation - Proposed changes to SNMP
- Section 1 .1.1

Hi all,

This is the change that I propose to make to Section 1.1.1, with regards to
clarifying the applicability of SNMP as the MIDCOM protocol.

Old Text (from draft-ietf-midcom-protocol-eval-02.txt):

"The primary advantages of SNMP compared to other protocols evaluated are
that it is a mature, well understood protocol currently deployed in various
scenarios. In addition, mature toolsets are available for SNMP managers and
agents. SNMP is mainly used for monitoring rather than for configuring
network nodes, however, thus reducing its applicability to MIDCOM."

Proposed New Text:

"The primary advantages of SNMP are that it is a mature, well understood
protocol currently deployed in various scenarios, with mature toolsets
available for SNMP managers and agents. However, several other factors also
affect SNMP's applicability as the MIDCOM protocol:
- SNMP is mainly used for monitoring rather than for configuring network
nodes, and
- SNMPv3 is required in order to meet the security requirements." 

***************
Although comments on the overall document will be accepted through August
2nd, I would like to request that feedback on this proposed change be
provided by 6PM CST Tuesday (30 July) so that we can address any concerns
prior to the 2nd; with no response meaning that the proposed text is OK. 
***************

Regards,
Mary H. Barnes
[email-masked]
972-684-5432
Wireless 817-703-4806

_______________________________________________
midcom mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/midcom

---

From: "Mary Barnes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2002 19:41:02 -0500

Cedric,

I agree, I propose to change the text as follows:

- SNMPv3 is required in order to meet the reliability and security related
requirements."

Thanks,
Mary.

-----Original Message-----
From: Aoun, Cedric [GOLF:MA01:EXCH] 
Sent: Friday, August 02, 2002 11:02 AM
To: Barnes, Mary [NGC:B602:EXCH]; [email-masked]'
Subject: RE: [midcom] MIDCOM Protocol Evaluation - Proposed changes to
SNMP - Section 1 .1.1

Mary,

-----Original Message-----
From: Barnes, Mary [NGC:B602:EXCH] 
Sent: 26 July 2002 22:53
To: [email-masked]'
Subject: [midcom] MIDCOM Protocol Evaluation - Proposed changes to SNMP
- Section 1 .1.1

Hi all,

Proposed New Text:

***************

Regards,
Mary H. Barnes