Subject: [midcom] Protocol eval: 2.2.8 RSIP - proposal to change score and text

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2002 16:58:49 -0500

Middlebox experts,

As I have said in a previous e-mail, RSIP can easily be extended in a
backward compatible manner to restrict the transport protocols that may
use a binding. RSIP currently allows all transport protocols to use any
binding.

RSIP would add a new optional parameter called transportProtocol to the
ASSIGN_REQUESTs. If specified, the binding created would apply only to
the use of the bound addresses / ports by the specified transport
protocol(s). If not specified, the binding would apply to all use of the
bound addresses / ports by any transport protocol, thus maintaining
backward compatibility with the current definition of RSIP.

RSIP is currently scored a P on this requirement when it should, in
my opinion, clearly be a P+.

I propose that the score of RSIP for this requirement be changed to P+,
and the text changed to:

     RSIP can be extended to restrict the transport protocols that may
     use a binding by including an optional transportProtocol parameter
     on ASSIGN_REQUESTs. If specified, the use of the binding is
     restricted to the transport protocol specified. If not specified,
     the binding can be used by all transport protocols, giving backward
     compatibility with the existing RSIP semantics.

Comments expected and welcome.

Jim

_______________________________________________
midcom mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/midcom