Subject: [midcom] Protocol eval: 2.2.11 RSIP - proposal to change score and text

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2002 17:26:59 -0500

Middlebox experts,

The MIDOCM requirements require support for overlapping rulesets. But
based on recent discussions of semantics, that requirement may be going
away.

As I have said in a previous e-mail, RSIP can easily be extended to
support overlapping rulesets, if that is required, with backward
compatibility to existing semantics. RSIP currently does not permit
overlapping bindings.

RSIP would add a new optional boolean parameter called overlapOK to the
ASSIGN_REQUESTs. If specified as TRUE, the binding created may overlap
with another existing binding. If not specified (or specified as FALSE),
the binding will only be created to not overlap with an existing binding,
thus maintaining backward compatibility with the current definition of
RSIP.

RSIP is currently scored a P on this requirement when it should, in
my opinion, clearly be a P+.

I propose that the score of RSIP for this requirement be changed to P+,
and the text changed to:

     RSIP can be extended to permit overlapping bindings by including
     an optional boolean overlapOK parameter on ASSIGN_REQUESTs. If
     specified as TRUE, the binding created may overlap with another
     existing binding. If not specified (or specified as FALSE), the
     binding will only be created to not overlap with an existing
     binding, thus maintaining backward compatibility with the current
     definition of RSIP.

Comments expected and welcome.

Jim

_______________________________________________
midcom mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/midcom