Subject: [payload] RFC 6416 on RTP Payload Format for MPEG-4 Audio/Visual Streams

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2011 11:32:56 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6416

        Title:      RTP Payload Format for MPEG-4 
                    Audio/Visual Streams 
        Author:     M. Schmidt, F. de Bont,
                    S. Doehla, J. Kim
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       October 2011
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      35
        Characters: 77031
        Obsoletes:  RFC3016

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-payload-rfc3016bis-03.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6416.txt

This document describes Real-time Transport Protocol (RTP) payload
formats for carrying each of MPEG-4 Audio and MPEG-4 Visual
bitstreams without using MPEG-4 Systems.  This document obsoletes RFC
3016.  It contains a summary of changes from RFC 3016 and discusses
backward compatibility to RFC 3016.  It is a necessary revision of
RFC 3016 in order to correct misalignments with the 3GPP Packet-
switched Streaming Service (PSS) specification regarding the RTP
payload format for MPEG-4 Audio.

For the purpose of directly mapping MPEG-4 Audio/Visual bitstreams
onto RTP packets, this document provides specifications for the use
of RTP header fields and also specifies fragmentation rules.  It also
provides specifications for Media Type registration and the use of
the Session Description Protocol (SDP).  The audio payload format
described in this document has some limitations related to the
signaling of audio codec parameters for the required multiplexing
format.  Therefore, new system designs should utilize RFC 3640, which
does not have these restrictions.  Nevertheless, this revision of RFC
3016 is provided to update and complete the specification and to
enable interoperable implementations.  [STANDARDS-TRACK]

This document is a product of the Audio/Video Transport Payloads Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC