Subject: Re: [RTG-DIR] FW: Routing Area Directorate Review for draft-ietf-karp-crypto-key-table

From: Sam Hartman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Jul 2013 15:38:19 -0400

>>>>> "Danny" == Danny McPherson <[email-masked]> writes:

    Danny> On 2013-05-21 06:27, Sam Hartman wrote:
    >> Danny, it sounds like you care a lot more about the time sync
    >> issue than people who have discussed in in the WG. Would you be
    >> willing to write some text discussing NTP and providing a way
    >> forward on your concern here?

    Danny> The reason I care a lot more is that there's less point in
    Danny> investing in deployment of these capabilities if we're going
    Danny> to be overly loose on timing issues, expiry, etc.  I think if
    Danny> I wrote text it would simply state that there needs to be
    Danny> reasonable synchronization and that implementations should
    Danny> not assume some considerable skew (e.g., greater than a few
    Danny> minutes).  It's arguably not as bad for p2p sessions but for
    Danny> system wide functions (e.g., LSA, LSP, etc..) it could be
    Danny> more problematic in practice.  Highlighting and not
    Danny> marginalizing these dependencies is key.  IF you want me to
    Danny> write something up I can, but it's simply could to be a lot
    Danny> more prescriptive than what's there today, with an
    Danny> exclamation point in the deployment considerations section.

My reading of the discussion is that there was not consensus within the
rtg-dir whether long skews (days etc) should be discouraged.
My reading of WG discussion is similar.

Absent direction from KARP chairs or routing ADs that my reading is
wrong, I don't think we have sufficient consensus to discourage long
skews.

The KARP chairs have proposed (and I agree) that
draft-ietf-karp-ops-model would be a better place to discuss NTP and the
desire for time sync.
That draft will be entering IETF last call as soon as the changes in 07
are reviewed and accepted by our AD.
I'll bring up your concern about time sync in that last call and
recommend we cover the issue there.

I'm now sitting down to take your original review and the text and
address the smaller comments and pull in the admin key name.  Thanks
again for that catch; I would have been really embarrassed to find that
years later.