Subject: Re: [RTG-DIR] Thinking about Routing Directorate reviews

From: Susan Hares <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2013 16:51:57 -0700

Agree wg lc = direcrorate

Can I help?

SUE

Sent via the Samsung GALAXY S®4, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

-------- Original message --------
From: Adrian Farrel <[email-masked]> 
Date: 08/26/2013  7:47 AM  (GMT-08:00) 
To: [email-masked],[email-masked] 
Subject: Thinking about Routing Directorate reviews 
 
Hi,

Currently the Routing Directorate does reviews for the ADs roughly during IETF
last call. They only review on request, and they only focus on:
- documents from other areas that the ADs think might have an impact on routing
- routing area I-Ds that the ADs want help with (i.e., not all routing area
I-Ds)

I've been getting a little uncomfortable with the level of issues I raise during
AD review (when publication is requested). Possibly this is happening because I
am a picky bugger who complains about too much stuff. Possibly it is happening
because WG development and last call is not catching enough issues.

It is reasonable to expect the ADs to continue to perform detailed review at
publication request, but this is a substantial load on the ADs and I wonder that
it must be frustrating to the author and WGs to get this level of review after
the WG process has completed.

I see two options here:

1. AD review to take place during WG last call.
Downside is that this is quite a small window to get AD time in.
Downside is that the document may get recycled considerably as a result of WG
last call so the AD is not reviewing the "best" product of the WG.
Upside is that the WG is fully involved in results of the AD review.
Upside is that the process is more streamlined.

2. Routing directorate review takes place during WG last call.
Downside is that the document may get recycled considerably as a result of WG
last call so the review does not catch the "best" product of the WG.
Upside  is that the WG is fully involved in results of the directorate review.
Upside is that the document should be in better condition when the AD sees it.

Combining options 1 and 2 is also possible.

Do y'all have any thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Adrian