Subject: implguide10.txt --- Degrading cwnd

From: Ilknur Aydin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 18:21:07 -0400 (EDT)

Hello All,

Section 2.14.2 of implguide10.txt states the following:

   ---------
   New text: (Section 7.2.1)
   ---------

   o  When the association does not transmit data on a given transport address
      within an RTO, the cwnd of the transport address SHOULD be adjusted to
      2*MTU.

Isn't it a little radical to reset the cwnd to 2*MTU after 1 RTO ?  Could
you please give me a little more intuition why it would make sense to
follow the policy above, instead of a more gradual decrease in cwnd as in
the old text.

In addition, Section 2.30.2 states that

   ---------
   New text: (Section 7.2.1)
   ---------
      o  The initial cwnd before DATA transmission or after a sufficiently
         long idle period MUST be set to min (4*MTU, max (2*MTU, 4380
bytes)).

I think, the text for Section 2.14.1 and 2.30.2 should match; i.e. the
text in Section 2.14.1 should be modified as "... the cwnd of the
transport address SHOULD be adjusted to min (4*MTU, max (2*MTU, 4380
bytes))."

Best Regards,

Ilknur Aydin
DEGAS Networking Group
Dept. of Computer and Information Sciences
University of Delaware
http://www.cis.udel.edu/~aydin