Subject: Re: [Casm] I-D Action: draft-kumar-casm-problem-and-use-cases-00.txt

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2017 16:26:50 +1300

Hi,

> The address space management is an intergral part of any network
> management solution.

We can certainly agree on that. I also think that the separation into
various domains in the draft is useful, with one or two comments:

> DHCP server pool
> Static address configuration

Perhaps you should point out that static != manual.

> Public IP address pool

That seems too broad. At least, there are two aspects:
1) addresses assigned to network infrastructure elements (routers etc.)
2) addresses/prefixes assigned to edge devices (carriers) or to
   end-user interfaces (enterprise networks).

Also, you should add the Private address pool
(RFC1918/RFC6598 for IPv4, or ULA for IPv6).

> Multicast IP address pool

> SDN controllers

That title is too specific; any virtual or software-managed address
space should be covered, not just SDN. However, this may in reality be
a subset of Public address pool or Private address pool.

Now I have a rather fundamental question to finish: Why do you assume
that the solution must be 'centralized'? Certainly, the policy intent
for a network must be centralized, and the initial address pool must
be configured from a central point. But why must the management be
centralized? I do not think that is a requirement at all. A distributed
solution would be just fine.

Regards
   Brian Carpenter

---

From: Rakesh Kumar <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2017 05:34:40 +0000

Hi Brian,

Please see my response with [Rakesh].

Thanks
Rakesh

On 2/7/17, 7:26 PM, "CASM on behalf of Brian E Carpenter" <[email-masked] on behalf of [email-masked]> wrote:

    Hi,

    
    
    Perhaps you should point out that static != manual.
[Rakesh] I mean address assigned without protocol (DHCP). I agree with your statement.

[Rakesh] I have thought about this but this apply to addressing aspects in general not necessarily for Public IP pool only.

[Rakesh] Ok.

    
    That title is too specific; any virtual or software-managed address
    space should be covered, not just SDN. However, this may in reality be
    a subset of Public address pool or Private address pool.
[Rakesh] In my mind, I was thinking who all would be the clients for address management functionality/service.
    
[Rakesh]  I already responded to this in previous thread.

    Regards
       Brian Carpenter
    
    _______________________________________________
    CASM mailing list
    [email-masked]
    https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/casm