Subject: [Casm] Minutes of prep meeting

From: Audric Schiltknecht <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2017 11:47:43 -0400

Hello,

Please find the "minutes" of the prep meeting held on Sunday 26th in Chicago.

Regards,
Audric Schiltknecht

-------------
CASM Prep Meeting, 2017/03/26

Benoit: What do you want to do? If only YANG Model, almost adopted in OPS wg, so why need of new WG?
Or what do you want to connect to your IPAM?

Warren: Doc only presented [in OPS], not asked for adoption

Ralph: What's the scope? General interface provides arbitrary connections between different devices?
Can you design a single interface that can generalize without being heavy for particular use cases?

Benoit: boundaries of the figure? Is it the end-user requesting address? Intermediate device? First
thing for BOF: define problem statement.
Prefer to focus on couple of points, not have 15 use cases, doing something big. Divide project into
"phases"

Ralph: Can define a single integrated interface for both IPv4/6 or need a separate one for each? Is
there any motivation for doing work for ipv4?Most companies already have an IPAM for IPv4, what
would be the motivation to dev/deploy for v4?

Warren: For v6, not really need to use prefixes conservatively

Ralph: True, but need to keep track of assignments?
What is there to learn from DHCP management?

Bernie: DHCP wg is working on DHCPv6 yang model

Benoit: Relation with ANIMA?

Ignas: Review: Broadband aggregation use case: very specific / scope? only IP or more coordinate
allocation of identifiers (vlan tag, mpls label, etc)?
-> Would be happy with Standard interface to query ids (think of dhcp for prefixes, tags, etc)

Ralph: Is there enough to specify interface document? What are the requirements that need to be
specified?

In scope for OPS wg? Come back for a new WG?

Benoit: Not sure this is right question, what is the problem we are trying to solve?

Warren: Does it seem there are people on IPAM/vendor sides willing to build on these documents?

Ignas: End vision: do we want to be able to replace an IPAM system with another? Typically, you
install one system and stay "locked-in". Not really need for change, "it works".

Ralph: what do we get from having interoperability in this domain? (as in DHCP failover).

Ignas: 3 components: router, IPAM, and something in middle where logic lies.
Interoperability between IPAMs is a db synchronization question, no need to define a standard way to
make IPAMs interoperables.