Subject: [conex] Deadline Extension: Workshop on "Capacity Sharing"

From: Mirja Kühlewind <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 13:43:53 +0200

Hi,

this is a quite short notice for a Call for Contributions as the Deadline is 
Monday. But this might still be interesting for you (and we only require an 
abstract). I'll send a Call for Participation and the program in about two 
weeks...

Mirja 

===========================================================================

Submission Deadline extended to August 1, 2011

===========================================================================

			Call for Contributions
			----------------------

NEC Laboratories Europe and the Institute of Communication Networks
and Computer Engineering (IKR) of the University of Stuttgart invite
you to a one-day workshop on the topic

			   ----------------
			   Capacity Sharing
			   ----------------

With the increasing amount of IP traffic in fixed and mobile access
networks, the question how to share the available resources in a fair,
efficient and demand-oriented way becomes more and more
prevalent. With the variety of services one can find in today's
Internet, the requirements in rate, data volume and latency differ
strongly. To maximize resource utilization and, at the same time,
provide satisfying performance to all users, application layer
knowledge is needed. As different resource allocation and adaptation
mechanisms already exist in MAC, transport and application layer, an
integral consideration of the problem space is required.

In wireless networks, the problem is particularly relevant due to the
inherently limited resources, which render a simple "throwing
bandwidth at the problem" solution impossible. Because large
over-provisioning factors are economically unfeasible, similar
questions on capacity sharing also arise in fixed access networks,
such as high bandwidth passive optical networks or cable networks.

The objective of this workshop is to bring together stakeholders of
mobile and fixed access networks, the classic Internet world and of
the application and transport community. We solicit presentations on
the state-of-the-art, results of ongoing research, open issues, trends
and new ideas. We are especially looking forward to (possibly
provocative) visionary presentations to foster a lively discussion
about how to face the upcoming challenges in the future mobile
Internet. Topics of particular interest include, but are not limited
to

* Application-layer adaption for mobile services

* Transport layer solutions and possible interactions with
  cellular/fixed access networks

* Context-aware resource allocation & cross-layer adaptation

* QoE and fairness definitions, metrics and evaluation

* Data traffic characteristics in fixed and mobile Internet

* Economic aspects on capacity sharing and business models

* Similarities and differences of capacity sharing in mobile and fixed
  access networks

* Related standardization activities and projects

			Submission Information
			----------------------

Please inform the workshop organizers by email to about title and 
abstract (max. 1 page) of your planned presentation. The number 
of slots is limited.

			   Important Dates
			   ---------------

Deadline for contributions:	August 1, 2011.

Registration to the workshop: 	September 15, 2011.

Workshop date: 			October 13, 2011.

			 Further Information
			 -------------------

For further information, please check our website or send a mail to
the workshop organizers:

http://www.ikr.uni-stuttgart.de/CapacitySharingWS/

[email-masked]

Dirk Kutscher (NEC), Mirja Kühlewind (IKR), Christian Mueller (IKR)
===========================================================================

-------------------------------------------------------