Subject: Re: [conex] Fwd: [ITG-FG524-Announce] Deadline Extension: Workshop on "Capacity Sharing"

From: Mikael Abrahamsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2011 07:49:38 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 28 Jul 2011, Mirja Kühlewind wrote:

> * Transport layer solutions and possible interactions with
>  cellular/fixed access networks

I would just like to point out that the only thing the user needs to 
reveal to the transport network is the dst address of the packet, and the 
transport network can deduce the packet size (obviously).

Encryption is becoming cheaper and easier (and more required due to 
increased "value" of the information being moved, like passwords and 
session cookies) and I foresee more and more traffic actually being 
encrypted, so basing any new tech on other factors than stated the the 
above paragraph run a big risk of being rendered useless before it's even 
implemented.

-- 
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: [email-masked]

---

From: Mirja Kühlewind <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2011 17:00:55 +0200

Hi Mikael

> above paragraph run a big risk of being rendered useless before it's even
Of course, but there might be cases where it is actually beneficial for the 
user to reveal more information. Moreover, there are mechanisms in today 
mobile networks which do all kind of DPI and content adaptation... 
We would like to get the right people together and discuss whats the right 
thing to do here!

Mirja

---

From: Mikael Abrahamsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2011 17:56:52 +0200 (CEST)

> mobile networks which do all kind of DPI and content adaptation...

Yes, and more and more tech is being made to look like web surfing (TCP/80 
or TCP/443) because of filtering and the mechanisms you mentioned.