Subject: [core] I-D Action: draft-ietf-core-groupcomm-05.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2013 09:48:22 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Constrained RESTful Environments Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Group Communication for CoAP
	Author(s)       : Akbar Rahman
                          Esko Dijk
	Filename        : draft-ietf-core-groupcomm-05.txt
	Pages           : 32
	Date            : 2013-02-05

Abstract:
   CoAP is a RESTful transfer protocol for constrained devices and
   networks.  It is anticipated that constrained devices will often
   naturally operate in groups (e.g. in a building automation scenario
   all lights in a given room may need to be switched on/off as a
   group).  This document defines how the CoAP protocol should be used
   in a group communication context.  An approach for using CoAP on top
   of IP multicast is detailed for both constrained and un-constrained
   networks.  Also, various use cases and corresponding protocol flows
   are provided to illustrate important concepts.  Finally, guidance is
   provided for deployment in various network topologies.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-core-groupcomm

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-core-groupcomm-05

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-core-groupcomm-05

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: "Rahman, Akbar" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2013 12:53:10 -0500

Hi,

Esko and I have updated the Group Communications I-D to address the
following points.  Special thanks to Peter van der Stok for his detailed
review that led to some of the key updates.  We would also appreciate
any other feedback from the WG and the other volunteer reviewers.

Thanks,

Akbar & Esko

============================================
   Changes from ietf-04 to ietf-05:

   o  Added a new section 3.9 (Exceptions) that highlights that IP
      multicast (and hence group communications) is not always available
      (#187).

   o  Updated text on the use of [RFC2119] language (#271) in Section 1.

   o  Included guidelines on when (not) to use CoAP responses to
      multicast requests and when (not) to accept multicast requests
      (#273).

   o  Added guideline on use of core-block for minimizing response size
      (#275).

   o  Restructured section 6 (Security Considerations) to more fully
      describe threats and threat mitigation (#277).

   o  Clearly indicated that DNS resolution and reverse DNS lookup are
      optional.

   o  Removed confusing text about a single group having multiple IP
      addresses.  If multiple IP addresses are required then multiple
      groups (with the same members) should be created.

   o  Removed repetitive text about the fact that group communications
      is not guaranteed.

   o  Merged previous section 5.2 (Multicast Routing) into 3.1 (IP
      Multicast Routing Background) and added link to section 5.2
      (Advertising Membership of Multicast Groups).

   o  Clarified text in section 3.8 (Congestion Control) regarding
      precedence of use of IP multicast domains (i.e. first try to use
      link-local scope, then site-local scope, and only use global IP
      multicast as a last resort).

   o  Extended group resource manipulation guidelines with use of
      preconfigured ports/paths for the multicast group.

   o  Consolidated all text relating to ports in a new section 3.3 (Port
      Configuration).

   o  Clarified that all methods (GET/PUT/POST) for configuring group
      membership in endpoints should be unicast (and not multicast) in
      section 3.7 (Configuring Group Membership In Endpoints).

   o  Various editorial updates for improved readability, including
      editorial comments by Peter van der Stok to WG list of December
      18th, 2012.

============================================

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
[email-masked]
Sent: Tuesday, February 05, 2013 12:48 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: [core] I-D Action: draft-ietf-core-groupcomm-05.txt

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Constrained RESTful Environments
Working Group of the IETF.

Abstract:

_______________________________________________
core mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/core