Subject: [core] #323: Discuss constrained node security considerations, including entropy

From: "core issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2013 19:11:04 -0000

#323: Discuss constrained node security considerations, including entropy

 Sean Turner notes (msg04433d9):

 Section 11

 9) Either in s9 or s11 we need to say something about devices with bad
 entropy sources not bothering to make keys because they won't be of any
 use.   If they've got bad entropy sources the manufacturer or whoever
 should be making the keys.

 Carsten says:

 Good point. So far we talk about entropy only in 9.1.3.1.  There are other
 considerations about constrained nodes (e.g., susceptibility to timing
 attacks) that may be worth mentioning.  I'll propose adding a section 11.6
 with some of these considerations.

 Strawman text:

 11.6 Constrained node considerations

 Implementors on constrained nodes often find themselves without a good
 source of entropy [RFC4086].  If that is the case, the node MUST NOT be
 used for processes that require good entropy, such as key generation.
 Instead, keys should be generated externally and added to the device
 during manufacturing or commissioning.

 Due to their low processing power, constrained nodes are particularly
 susceptible to timing attacks.  Special care must be taken in
 implementation of cryptographic primitives.

 Large numbers of constrained nodes will be installed in exposed
 environments and will have little resistance to tampering, including
 recovery of keying materials.  This needs to be considered when defining
 the scope of credentials assigned to them.  In particular, assigning a
 shared key to a group of nodes may make any single constrained node a
 target for subverting the entire group.

-- 
-------------------------+-------------------------------------------------
 Reporter:               |      Owner:  [email-masked]
  [email-masked]           |     Status:  new
     Type:  other        |  Milestone:  post-IESG-1
  technical              |    Version:  coap-16
 Priority:  minor        |   Keywords:
Component:  coap         |
 Severity:  Submitted    |
  WG Document            |
-------------------------+-------------------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/core/trac/ticket/323>
core <http://tools.ietf.org/core/>

---

From: "core issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 May 2013 20:58:57 -0000

Changes (by [email-masked]):

 * status:  new => closed
 * resolution:   => fixed

Comment:

 Fixed in [1390]:

 Fix #323

-- 
-------------------------+-------------------------------------------------
 Reporter:               |       Owner:  draft-ietf-core-
  [email-masked]           |  [email-masked]
     Type:  other        |      Status:  closed
  technical              |   Milestone:  post-IESG-1
 Priority:  minor        |     Version:  coap-16
Component:  coap         |  Resolution:  fixed
 Severity:  Submitted    |
  WG Document            |
 Keywords:               |
-------------------------+-------------------------------------------------

Ticket URL: </ticket/323#comment:1>
core <http://tools.ietf.org/core/>