Subject: [core] Martin Stiemerling's Discuss on draft-ietf-core-coap-17: (with DISCUSS)

From: "Martin Stiemerling" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Jun 2013 02:23:27 -0700

Martin Stiemerling has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-core-coap-17: Discuss

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to http://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
DISCUSS:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Updated based on - 17. 

A well-written document and I have a few points to discuss. 

Here are the issues (based on my own review and input from Joe Touch and
Michael Scharf):

1)  done.

2) done.

3) done.

4) done.

5) done.

6)  done.

7) done. 

8) Flow Control/Receiver Buffer
The protocol does not have any real means for the receiver to control the
amount of data that is being sent to it. I can understand the attempt to
provide a simple protocol, but adding a very basic flow control mechanism
will not prohibitively increase the complexity of the protocol, while
improving robustness. 
The 4.13 "Request Entity Too Large" with a protocol field that indicates
the maximum data size would be fixing this. 

9) done.