Subject: [core] #333: Consistent sequence numbers across requests

From: "core issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2013 16:57:10 -0000

#333: Consistent sequence numbers across requests

 observe-09 requires:

     The client MUST specify a token in its GET request that is currently
     not in use for the client/server pair, as the sequence numbers
     provide an order only among the notifications resulting from the same
     request.

 This requirement is not implementable if we assume that a client can
 reboot anytime and thereby forget which tokens were in use up to this
 point. If the client is still interested in a resource after a reboot, it
 will register again, potentially reusing a token that is still in use by
 the server.

 The problem can be solved by requiring that sequence numbers do not only
 provide an order among the notifications resulting from one request, but
 among all notifications resulting from all requests of one client for the
 same resource.

 Of course, a server can reboot anytime and thereby forget the state of its
 sequence number generator. When a server cannot provide consistent
 sequence numbers between two notifications, these notifications need to be
 at least 128 seconds apart.

-- 
-------------------------+-------------------------------------------------
 Reporter:               |      Owner:  draft-ietf-core-
  [email-masked]         |  [email-masked]
     Type:  protocol     |     Status:  new
  defect                 |  Milestone:  post-WGLC-1
 Priority:  minor        |    Version:
Component:  observe      |   Keywords:
 Severity:  In WG Last   |
  Call                   |
-------------------------+-------------------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/core/trac/ticket/333>
core <http://tools.ietf.org/core/>