Subject: [core] node-coap

From: Matteo Collina <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2013 11:20:27 +0200

Hi Everyone,

My name is Matteo Collina and I am a Ph.D. Candidate at the University of
Bologna.
I am not sure if this is the right ML, but I would like to announce my
node-coap library, which is a CoAP library for node.js (supports coap-18
and coap-observe-10) in pure javascript.
I have also done a separate parser/generator of CoAP packets in Javascript
https://github.com/mcollina/coap-packet: it can be easily ported to the
browser if someone wants to work on a CoAP-over-WebSocket platform.

You can find them at http://npm.im/coap and http://npm.im/coap-packet,
respectively.
Any feedbacks, bugs, pull-requests or blog posts, are very welcome.

I also have a couple of questions:
1) is there an established practice for testing CoAP compatibility? I
tested it with Copper lightly and everything is fine, but I'd like to have
a formal approach on this.
2) from the spec it is not clear where is located the option number and
content format registries.

Cheers,

Matteo

---

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2013 11:53:12 +0200

> You can find them at http://npm.im/coap and http://npm.im/coap-packet, respectively.

Great!

> 1) is there an established practice for testing CoAP compatibility? I tested it with Copper lightly and everything is fine, but I'd like to have a formal approach on this.

The next formal CoAP plugtest event ("CoAP#3") is run by ETSI in cooperation with IPSO and OMA on Nov 19-22 in Las Vegas.
The CoRE wiki 

	http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/core/trac/wiki

is not in great shape but does contain a pointer:

	http://www.etsi.org/coap-oma-lightweight-m2m

If you have an implementation, you want to be there.

In preparation for the plugtest, there will be several test sites.
Still running from the previous plugtests is:

	http://coap.me

(updated to coap-18).  I expect to have some CoAP#3 tests there within a week or so.

> 2) from the spec it is not clear where is located the option number and content format registries.

They are all collected at

	http://www.iana.org/assignments/core-parameters/core-parameters.txt

or

	http://www.iana.org/assignments/core-parameters/core-parameters.xhtml

Thanks for those great questions!

Grüße, Carsten

---

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2013 12:21:33 +0200

On Oct 12, 2013, at 11:53, Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]> wrote:

> is not in great shape 

I have fixed it up a little bit.

Since that URI is too long, I have also added a redirect from

	http://6lowapp.net

Please feel free to add information and make changes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WP:BB).

Grüße, Carsten

---

From: Klaus Hartke <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2013 14:18:42 +0300

>         http://www.iana.org/assignments/core-parameters/core-parameters.xhtml

In addition to the official IANA registry, there's an unofficial
registry that also includes entries from drafts at various stages of
progress:

        http://svn.tools.ietf.org/svn/wg/core/registry.txt

Klaus

---

From: Matteo Collina <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2013 11:23:45 +0200

Thank you all for the informations, I will continue implementing the
missing bits of node-coap (mainly block).

Cheers,

Matteo