Subject: [core] group-comm draft

From: peter van der Stok <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2013 09:19:52 +0200

Hi Esko and Akbar,

Recently I reread the group comm draft and came to reconsider the text 
of section 2.6.2.3. PUT Interface

The text:
"A (unicast) PUT with an empty array [] will delete all group
memberships from the endpoint. Note that it is not possible to
delete individual group memberships on an endpoint. (A DELETE
interface is not defined as the underlying resource should not be
removed even if it is empty)."

provides a means to remove all group membership entries in one go.
This should be made less radical in my opinion to support the partial 
removal of group memberships or the removal of one membership at the 
time.

Let me motivate this request.

During setting up of installations, many cabling and other errors are 
made.
Consequently, the behaviour of the network is not always as expected.
In such circumstances one can imagine the installer adding group members 
until break-down of the process.
In that case, the installer should like to remove one membership.
Removing all would lead to a lengthy re-entry of the earlier 
memberships.

Imagine this happening not once, but several times.

I hope I convinced you to reconsider the specification of section 
2.6.2.3.

Peter

-- 
Peter van der Stok
mailto: [email-masked]
www: www.vanderstok.org
tel NL: +31(0)492474673     F: +33(0)966015248