Subject: [core] #349: Can we use /.well-known/core for HTTP-CoAP mapping resource?

From: "core issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2013 11:37:42 -0000

#349: Can we use /.well-known/core for HTTP-CoAP mapping resource?

 On the use of /.well-known/core for HTTP-CoAP mapping resource. Looking at
 core-coap-18:
     The "coap" URI scheme supports the path prefix "/.well-known/"
     defined by [RFC5785] for "well-known locations" in the name-space of
     a host.  This enables discovery of policy or other information about
     a host ("site-wide metadata"), such as hosted resources (see
     Section 7).

 So, the main use case envisaged by CoAP seems to be the discovery of
 resources, which is not the way we are currently using it.

 Looking at RFC 5785 ("Appropriate Use of Well-Known URIs"):
     There are a number of possible ways that applications could use Well-
     known URIs.  However, in keeping with the Architecture of the World-
     Wide Web [W3C.REC-webarch-20041215], well-known URIs are not intended
     for general information retrieval or establishment of large URI
     namespaces on the Web.  Rather, they are designed to facilitate
     discovery of information on a site when it isn't practical
     to use other mechanisms;

 which confirms this view. Our proposed use in http-mapping-02 is clearly
 not discovery related.

 Possible resolutions of this issue are:
 1) Do it anyway (follow http-mapping-02), arguments are 'ease of use' and
 'avoid extra discovery step'
 2) Make discovery of the http-coap mapping entry point (resource) a first
 step in the process. This would be done e.g. by querying /.well-known/core
 for the resource type (rt) of the mapping function.

 In any case a resource type for http-coap mapping needs to be defined to
 allow the discovery-based approach 2) above.

 (Thanks to Angelo and Thomas for providing input on this ticket)

-- 
-------------------------+-------------------------------------------------
 Reporter:               |      Owner:  draft-ietf-core-http-
  [email-masked]  |  [email-masked]
     Type:  protocol     |     Status:  new
  defect                 |  Milestone:
 Priority:  major        |    Version:
Component:  http-        |   Keywords:
  mapping                |
 Severity:  -            |
-------------------------+-------------------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/core/trac/ticket/349>
core <http://tools.ietf.org/core/>

---

From: "core issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2013 20:21:09 -0000

Comment (by [email-masked]):

 Current proposal is to move the HC proxy resource (function set) out of
 the /.well-known space which is reserved for discovery purposes.
 We can show all examples in this I-D using the base HTTP resource:
 /hc
 where any implementers may use this same base URI or another one of
 choice.

Component:  http-        |  Resolution:
 Keywords:               |

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/core/trac/ticket/349#comment:1>
core <http://tools.ietf.org/core/>