Subject: [core] #369 (resource-directory): Semantic Catalogue use case addition

From: "core issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2014 18:22:27 -0000

#369: Semantic Catalogue use case addition

 As discussed on the mailing list, it was proposed to add a semantic
 catalogue use case to the RD specification. The proposed text from Michael
 Koster is as follows:

    Resources may be shared through data brokers that have no knowledge
    beforehand of who is going to consume the data.  Resource Directory
    can be used to hold links about resources and services hosted
    anywhere to make them discoverable by a general class of
    applications.

    For example, environmental and weather sensors that generate data for
    public consumption may provide the data to an intermediary server, or
    broker.  Sensor data are published to the intermediary upon changes
    or at regular intervals.  Descriptions of the sensors that resolve to
    links to sensor data may be published to a Resource Directory.
    Applications wishing to consume the data can use the Resource
    Directory lookup function set to discover and resolve links to the
    desired resources and endpoints.  The Resource Directory service need
    not be coupled with the data intermediary service.  Mapping of
    Resource Directories to data intermediaries may be many-to-many.

    Metadata in link-format or link-format+json representations are
    supplied by Resource Directories, which may be internally stored as
    semantic triples, or relation/attribute pairs providing metadata
    about resource links.  External catalogs that are represented in
    other formats may be converted to link-format or link-format+json for
    storage and access by Resource Directories.  Since it is common
    practice for these to be URN encoded, simple and lossless structural
    transforms will generally be sufficient to store external metadata in
    Resource Directories.

    The additional features of Resource Directory allow domains to be
    defined to enable access to a particular set of resources from
    particular applications. this provides isolation and protection of
    sensitive data when needed.  Resource groups may defined to allow
    batched reads from multiple resources.

-- 
-------------------------+-------------------------------------------------
 Reporter:               |      Owner:  draft-ietf-core-resource-
  [email-masked]     |  [email-masked]
     Type:  editorial    |     Status:  new
 Priority:  minor        |  Milestone:
Component:  resource-    |    Version:
  directory              |   Keywords:
 Severity:  -            |
-------------------------+-------------------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/core/trac/ticket/369>
core <http://tools.ietf.org/core/>