Subject: [core] Kathleen Moriarty's Discuss on draft-ietf-core-groupcomm-21: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

From: "Kathleen Moriarty" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2014 20:15:08 -0700

Kathleen Moriarty has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-core-groupcomm-21: Discuss

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to http://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-core-groupcomm/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
DISCUSS:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Overall, the draft is well written and although security is not present,
the threats and proposed future solution discussion is good.

Section 5.4 is specific to pervasive monitoring, but I think monitoring
is better as it casts a wider net and could include pervasive monitoring
concerns, but other concerns as well related to monitoring.  Monitoring
could be targeted to observe specific organizations, people, or devices,
that could also be used as part of a targeted attack.  Monitoring could
also lead to privacy concerns if patterns of behavior are observed for
individuals.

Thanks.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

I support the comments by others on the document not really being
informational.  The lack of security controls is an issue, experimental
would be good until it is resolved as there is a lot of work to be done
in this space and it is active.