Subject: [core] Martin Stiemerling's No Objection on draft-ietf-core-observe-14: (with COMMENT)

From: "Martin Stiemerling" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2014 03:39:13 -0700

Martin Stiemerling has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-core-observe-14: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to http://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-core-observe/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Two points/questions:
- I wondered what happens in the case when a server is sending too
frequently notifications to the client and had to read to Section 4.5.1.
Do you mind adding a reference at the end of Section 1.4 to Section
4.5.1? Just to get an early heads-up to the interested reader. 

- I have a headache with the model used in Section 3.6, i.e., that the
client just forgets its wish to receive notifications and solely relies
on the transport, i.e., sending the Reset message. The second part, i.e.,
describing how to explicitly removing notifications looks the much more
straight forward way of removing the notifications form the server. Your
first approach looks much more like a last resort handling. Especially,
since the Reset messages can get lost and it will take a very long time
in this case until the server stops sending notifications. 

And by the way: thanks for the considerations about congestion control!