Subject: [core] Ted Lemon's No Objection on draft-ietf-core-observe-14: (with COMMENT)

From: "Ted Lemon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2014 07:07:26 -0700

Ted Lemon has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-core-observe-14: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to http://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-core-observe/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

In section 3.2:

   In the event that the resource changes in a way that would cause a
   normal GET request at that time to return a non-2.xx response (for
   example, when the resource is deleted), the server sends a
   notification with an appropriate response code (such as 4.04 Not
   Found) and removes all clients from the list of observers of the
   resource.

Would the 4.04 message be confirmable in cases where a 2.05 would be?  
If so, does the removal happen when the confirmation is received, or
immediately?   Also, this text implies that the server sends one message
and then removes all the clients from the list of observers; wouldn't it
make more sense to say that the server sends one message and removes the
client to which it sent the message from the list of observers?  
Otherwise it seems as if only one client would be notified.