Subject: Re: [core] Resource Management in constrained environment

From: Vasu Kantubukta <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2015 09:08:29 +0000

Dear Core members,

I have the following queries regarding the scope of CORE WG:

1)      Does "resource management of constrained devices" falls under the scope of CORE

2)      Does "configuration of authorization policies about resources on authorization server" falls under the CORE

I am looking forward for your reply.

Thanks and Best Regards
Dr. K Vasu

---

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2015 12:09:31 +0200

Hi Vasu,

(I just got the same question again from another Huawei address.
I hope I got the right one here.)

> I have the following queries regarding the scope of CORE WG:

The current scope of the CoRE WG is defined in its charter:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/core/charter/

Note that there is an active discussion about updating that charter.
The current draft is at:
https://svn.tools.ietf.org/svn/wg/core/charter-ietf-core.txt

>From the terse question, I don't know whether you are asking about the
current charter, the new proposal, or maybe about what the scope
*should* be (i.e., this is a request to fix the new proposal).

> 1)      Does “resource management of constrained devices” falls under
> the scope of CORE

Apart from the above, an answer would depend on what exactly you mean by
"resource management".  Do you mean managing its physical resources (as
in battery power)?  Do you mean the management of its REST resources
offered over CoAP?  over HTTP?  Or do you mean management as in network
management?

> 2)      Does “configuration of authorization policies about resources on
> authorization server” falls under the CORE

Good question.  The ACE WG is about the security protocols that would be
employed for this.  However, the specific form that such a policy could
take before being bound to keying materials (cf.
draft-bormann-core-ace-aif for an oversimplified example for what I
mean), that falls right on the boundary between CoRE and ACE.

Grüße, Carsten