Subject: [core] I-D Action: draft-ietf-core-etch-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2016 07:11:20 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Constrained RESTful Environments of the IETF.

        Title           : Patch and Fetch Methods for Constrained Application Protocol (CoAP)
        Authors         : Peter van der Stok
                          Carsten Bormann
                          Anuj Sehgal
	Filename        : draft-ietf-core-etch-02.txt
	Pages           : 17
	Date            : 2016-08-10

Abstract:
   The existing Constrained Application Protocol (CoAP) methods only
   allow access to a complete resource, not to parts of a resource.  In
   case of resources with larger or complex data, or in situations where
   a resource continuity is required, replacing or requesting the whole
   resource is undesirable.  Several applications using CoAP will need
   to perform partial resource accesses.

   Similar to HTTP, the existing Constrained Application Protocol (CoAP)
   GET method only allows the specification of a URI and request
   parameters in CoAP options, not the transfer of a request payload
   detailing the request.  This leads to some applications to using POST
   where actually a cacheable, idempotent, safe request is desired.

   Again similar to HTTP, the existing Constrained Application Protocol
   (CoAP) PUT method only allows to replace a complete resource.  This
   also leads applications to use POST where actually a cacheable,
   possibly idempotent request is desired.

   This specification adds new CoAP methods, FETCH, to perform the
   equivalent of a GET with a request body; and the twin methods PATCH
   and iPATCH, to modify parts of a CoAP resource.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-core-etch/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-core-etch-02

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-core-etch-02

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2016 16:25:03 +0200

The authors have posted the post-WGLC version -02 of
draft-ietf-core-etch.  This should handle all the WGLC comments.

> https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-core-etch-02

The summary is:

-- Lots of editorial changes (thanks for all the input!).

-- The examples have been fixed (and use the numeric Content-Format
values, including the unspecified "NNN" for the Content-Format value of
the hypothetical media type application/example-map-keys+json).

-- These fixes include switching to 4.00 (Bad Request) with a diagnostic
payload for the example showing a server reacting to a non-idempotent
patch payload in an iPATCH.  Remember that this is an example; there is
no intention to elaborately specify what a server has to check for an
iPATCH and how it should react if that is malformed.

-- Technical change: 4.22 (Unprocessable entity) is now explicitly
registered in the sub-registry "CoAP response codes".

The authors believe this is now ready for submission to the IESG.

Grüße, Carsten