Subject: [decade] Naming and draft-farrel-wossname

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 07:12:29 +0200

This has probably already been raised, but "Named Information" is an
awful, generic name.  It doesn't really distinguish itself from URN,
or even URI.  Has anyone proposed a better, more descriptive acronym?

Like maybe integrity protected resource (ipr) or integrity protected
resource representation (iprr).  Maybe hashed abstract resource
representation identifier (harri).  Or some combination of words like
these.

...because names are fun to change when designing by committee.  But
it's a bigger deal when it comes to actually understanding the spec.
It's better than it was, but it's much harder to work out what is
going on than it should be and a good name would help a great deal.

--Martin

---

From: Stephen Farrell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 07:38:22 +0100

s/farrel/farrell/ :-)

> representation identifier (harri).  Or some combination of words like

I've no problem changing from "ni" to something better. Or
changing the expansion to something else. Whatever.

"ipr" of course isn't better:-)

> going on than it should be and a good name would help a great deal.

Be glad to get more detailed comments about how to make it better,

Cheers,
S

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 08:57:22 +0200

> s/farrel/farrell/ :-)

Apologies.

> "ipr" of course isn't better:-)

Of course it is.  "Inadvertent" acronym collision gets great mileage.

> Be glad to get more detailed comments about how to make it better,

How to take a long block of text and make it more understandable is a
difficult problem.  I think that the most specific thing I can do
without rewriting the introduction in way that you and your coauthors
probably wont like is to suggest name improvement.

---

From: Stephen Farrell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 08:10:06 +0100

On 03/28/2012 07:57 AM, Martin Thomson wrote:
> On 28 March 2012 08:38, Stephen Farrell<[email-masked]>  wrote:
>> s/farrel/farrell/ :-)
>
> Apologies.

No problem.

> Of course it is.  "Inadvertent" acronym collision gets great mileage.

Its maybe a bit tempting, but I suspect more folks would dislike
that than ni.

> probably wont like is to suggest name improvement.

I'm quite fine with handling comments I don't like. Hard to handle
unstated ones though.

S