Subject: [eman] [EMAN-FMWK] versus [EMAN-REF]: Power Source Relationship and power interface

From: Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2012 00:49:14 +0100

Dear all,

[EMAN-FMWK] = 
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-eman-framework/, the official 
EMAN document
[EMAN-REF] = 
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-quittek-eman-reference-model/

Discussing about the differences between [EMAN-FMWK] and [EMAN-REF] with 
one author of the [EMAN-REF], there is one open issue that needs to be 
resolved.

[EMAN-FMWK], specifies, via the terminology draft:

    Power Source Relationship

An Energy Object may be the source of or distributor of Power to another 
Energy Object(s) and is referred to as a Power Source Relationship.

Example: a PDU provides power for a connected host.

This relationship is modeled by  eoMeteredBy in [EMAN-AWARE-MIB], 
http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-eman-energy-aware-mib-04.txt

_Issue 1: _
[EMAN-FMWK] has the poweredBy relationship, which imposes a direction 
"from A to B"
[EMAN-REF] wants to have a kind of "wiring topology" relationship, and 
then the power direction is deduced from the counters
As far as I understand, [EMAN-REF] is after a "power relationship".

_Issue 2:_
[EMAN-REF] mentions the notion of power interface.
Taking into account the terminology from [EMAN-FMWK]
     A power interface is an Energy Object that has one Power Source 
Relationship
     Note: it may have other relationships (such as Metering or Proxy 
Relationship, like in POE)
Do we need this notion in the [EMAN-FMWK]?

Please share your thoughts on both issues, which are linked,

I put the problem on the table, to start the discussion, and I'll give 
my feedback later.

Regards, Benoit (as a contributor for the [EMAN-FMWK]

---

From: "Mouli Chandramouli (moulchan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2012 01:11:30 -0600

Hi Benoit, 

The fundamental problem to be solved is  - 

How to monitor and measure of  network device and devices attached to
the network. 

One approach, It is possible to model the device in terms of components
and measure the energy consumption of devices and model power states of
the device.  

For the devices attached to the network, there are relationship - how is
the power supplied, who controls the device etc.   Allows greater
flexibility to control or reporting. 

The second approach is to model an entity as having  power interfaces
(input and output).  From a single device, there are inputs and outputs.

ISSUE 1:   Parent/Child concept can be used to model Powered
relationship.   But, I do not see from EMAN perspective, why we need to
keep track of the power distribution tree. 

ISSUE 2:  Power Interface concept - as mentioned in another thread -
what is the additional problem that can be solved. 

If Power Interface is the standardized way to communicate to any Energy
Object (in terms of measurement of power, power states, ...) that is
what EMAN MIB  (informational model) provides. 

Thanks

Mouli

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Benoit Claise (bclaise)
Sent: Tuesday, February 28, 2012 5:19 AM
To: eman mailing list
Subject: [eman] [EMAN-FMWK] versus [EMAN-REF]: Power Source Relationship
and power interface

Dear all,

[EMAN-FMWK] =

Issue 1: 

Issue 2: