Subject: [eman] Some examples of non-electrical energy and devices

From: "John Parello (jparello)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2012 11:31:23 -0800

HI,

I was asked of alias a few times about examples of non -electrical
energy and device attached to a network that are in the glossary but not
used in any IETF draft at this time. Thought I repost here for the
interested reader.  I tried to combine a few concepts in the example.

""
Examples of network attached device that produces or uses non electrical
energy.

1)	A controller for compressed air. The controller is electrical
only for its network connection. Fueled by natural gas and produces
compressed air. That energy transfer (power) via compressed air is
distributed to devices on a factory floor. Things such as tools (drills,
screwdrivers, assembly lines (conveyor belts). The compressed air
controller is  parent and the attached devices powered by compressed air
are the children. The energy measured is non-electrical (compressed air)

2)	A controller for steam. The controller is electrical for its
network attachment but it burns tallow and produces steam to subtended
boilers. Similar to the above. The controller is the parent and the
energy is non-electrical (steam)
"""

Jp