Subject: [eman] Terms, importance, severity, priority...

From: "John Parello (jparello)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Feb 2012 11:49:26 -0800

Hi Rolf,

Just trying to get on the same page here. I use those terms in the
drafts based on the context of faults management. Here's an excerpt from
a classic networking book that nicely shows the difference.

"""
Performance and Fault Management
Paul Della Maggiora et all
Cisco Press
Nice Example of use of terms important, severity, priority
"""
As another example, you'll probably want to set different utilization
thresholds for LAN and WAN networks. Most network administrators set
fairly conservative thresholds for utilization on LANs because keeping
the LAN performance crisp is usually important and cost-effective.
However, WAN bandwidth is an expensive recurring charge and
administrators will often choose to allow higher utilization percentages
across these more expensive links. See the recommendations in Part II of
this book for what thresholds make sense for each media type. 
You can use a combination of the importance of the interface or category
and the severity of the particular trigger to set the priority of the
event and, therefore, what attention the event should receive. 
"""

The nouns (things in your inventory) have importance or category (some
classification)
The actions or acts have a severity
The messages or event have priority.

. Priority is overloaded in the PoE definition IMO and thus some
confusion. So that' why I added importance to the drafts. It's clearly a
categorization.

So do you see why a priority ordering is different than the inherent
importance of the device?

Happy to add something like this to the definitions so we are on the
same page
Jp

---

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Feb 2012 21:02:45 +0100

> Happy to add something like this to the definitions so we are on the

Now I am getting lost. What is now the definition of 'priority
ordering' and what is the definition of 'inherent importance'? How
does

> event and, therefore, what attention the event should receive.

help us in any way?

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder           Jacobs University Bremen gGmbH
Phone: +49 421 200 3587         Campus Ring 1, 28759 Bremen, Germany
Fax:   +49 421 200 3103         <http://www.jacobs-university.de/>