Subject: [eman] EMAN-FMWK: virtual grouping of Energy Objects with the "keywords"

From: Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2012 15:46:45 +0100

Dear all,

Regarding the following section in the [EMAN-FMWK]

    Another keyword use case is the virtual grouping of Energy Objects.
    For example, a Power Distribution Unit (PDU) that allows physical
    entities like outlets to be "ganged" together as a logical entity
    for simplified management purposes.This is particularly useful for
    servers with multiple power supplies, where each power supply is
    connected to a different physical outlet.Other implementations allow
    "gangs" to be created based on common ownership of outlets, such as
    business units or load shed priority or other non-physical
    relationships.For example, current PDU implementations allow for an
    "M-to-N" mapping between outlet "gangs" and physical outlets:

    Outlet 1(physical entity)

    Outlet 2(physical entity)

    Outlet 3(physical entity)

    Outlet 4(physical entity)

    Outlet Gang A(virtual entity)

    Outlet Gang B(virtual entity)

    Gang A -> Outlets 1, 2 and 3

    Gang B -> Outlets 3 and 4

    Note the allowed overlap on Outlet 3, where Outlet 3 belongs to both
    "gangs".The keywords concept for this specific example would be used
    as such:

    Outlet 1Energy Object 1, keywords: gangA

    Outlet 2Energy Object 2, keywords: gangA

    Outlet 3Energy Object 3, keywords: gangA, gangB

    Outlet 4Energy Object 4, keywords: gangB

    Each "Outlet Gang" virtual entity, aggregated based on the value of
    the keywords, reports the aggregated data from the individual outlet
    entities that comprise it.The same concept enables a single point of
    control for all the individual outlet entities.For example, turning
    "Outlet Gang A" to the "off" state would turn outlets 1, 2, and 3
    "off" in some implementations.Note that the impact of this action on
    "Outlet Gang B" is out of scope of this document.

Bill Mielke had the following concern:
"Are we overloading the use of keywords here?If the field is used for 
this purpose does that preclude it's use for its original purpose?Are 
these uses actually in conflict?"

Basically, I agree with Bill.
As it was mentioned on the mailing list some time ago, this gang 
semantic is not clear when we use the keywords.
Also, the requirement for outlet gang doesn't show up in [EMAN-REQ].
So I propose to remove this text, explaining how to use the keywords for 
gang relationship.

If a "gang relationship" is required, this framework allows this future 
extension.
Indeed, as each Energy Object has an UUID,  a new gang relationship can 
be used, one defined, between list of UUIDs.

Please let me know if you have a different view, otherwise, consider 
this text removed.

Regards, Benoit (as a contributor for EMAN-FMWK)

---

From: "John Parello (jparello)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2012 13:52:03 -0800

I presented this in Quebec. I think adding a new "ganged relationship"
between energy objects is the best approach. With the framework we can
model any new relationship type.

So we've got no requirements for this as yet but it can surely be added.

Jp

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Benoit Claise (bclaise)
Sent: Friday, February 24, 2012 6:47 AM
To: eman mailing list
Subject: [eman] EMAN-FMWK: virtual grouping of Energy Objects with
the"keywords"

Dear all,

[B.C.1] 

________________________________

 [B.C.1]

---

From: Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2012 12:33:43 +0100

Dear all,

So I removed the virtual grouping of Energy Objects with the"keywords"

And I put a new section

        Energy Objects Relationship Extensions

    As currently specified, this framework for Energy Management, is
    based on four Energy Objects Relationships: Aggregation
    Relationship, Metering Relationship, Power Source Relationship, and
    Proxy Relationship.

    This framework is defined with possible extension of new Energy
    Objects Relationships in mind. For example, a Power Distribution
    Unit (PDU) that allows physical entities like outlets to be "ganged"
    together as a logical entity for simplified management purposes,
    could be modeled with a future extension based on "gang
    relationship", whose semantic would specify the Energy Objects grouping.

Regards, Benoit (as a contributor for the EMAN framework)
> *From:[email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] *On Behalf 
> Of *Benoit Claise (bclaise)
> *Sent:* Friday, February 24, 2012 6:47 AM
> *To:* eman mailing list
> *Subject:* [eman] EMAN-FMWK: virtual grouping of Energy Objects with 
> the"keywords"
>
> Dear all,
>
> [B.C.1] <#_msocom_1>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> [B.C.1] <#_msoanchor_1>
>