Subject: [eman] I-D Action: draft-ietf-eman-battery-mib-05.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2012 05:48:51 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories. This draft is a work item of the Energy Management Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Definition of Managed Objects for Battery Monitoring
	Author(s)       : Juergen Quittek
                          Rolf Winter
                          Thomas Dietz
	Filename        : draft-ietf-eman-battery-mib-05.txt
	Pages           : 30
	Date            : 2012-03-07

   This memo defines a portion of the Management Information Base (MIB)
   for use with network management protocols in the Internet community.
   In particular, it defines managed objects that provide information on
   the status of batteries in managed devices.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-eman-battery-mib-05.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-eman-battery-mib-05.txt

---

From: Rolf Winter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2012 13:54:49 +0000

Hi,

this new version has a bunch of additions but mainly:

- administratively changeable charging state
- low temperature threshold and notification

Section 7 contains a few new open issues on which we would like feedback from the working group. I copied the list of open issues below. 

Thanks,

Rolf

7.  Open Issues

7.1.  Time estimations

   Shall we add managed objects and notifications that are based on the
   estimated time that the battery will be able to provide power (time-
   to-empty) or will need until it is fully charged (time-to-full).  In
   general this is useful and desired information.  However, this
   information is not reliable.  It is based on the assumption that the
   actual current will be continuous drawn from the battery or used to
   charge the battery.  Additionally, it is assumed that the battery
   chemistry works as expected.  Both may not be the case.

   The list of time estimations and related alarms on the table include:
   RemainingTimeAlarm, AtRateTimeToFull, AtRateTimeToEmpty, AtRateOK,
   RunTimeToEmpty, AverageTimeToEmpty, AverageTimeToFull.

   From previous discussions it seems that the AtRate ones will be more
   difficult to implement and it is questionable whether the effort is
   worth the gain.  The RunTimeToEmpty and AverageTimeToEmpty and
   AverageTimeToFull might be interesting but needs to be decided on the
   list.  With the objects we have so far, this could also be
   implemented in the NMS.

7.2.  Capacity reduction per time

   Do we want to include a measure to show the capacity reduction over
   time.  This can be seen as another measure of aging and battery
   quality.

7.3.  Internal impedance

   Is this a value we need?

7.4.  Wireless charging

   Are there any special requirements we need to cover that stem from
   wireless charging systems (e.g. charging states)?

7.5.  Entity MIB augmentation

   Should the batteryTable augment the entPhysicalTable from the Entity
   MIB?

NEC Europe Limited | Registered Office: NEC House, 1 Victoria Road, London W3 6BL | Registered in England 2832014 

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
> [email-masked]
> Sent: Mittwoch, 7. März 2012 14:49
> To: [email-masked]
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: [eman] I-D Action: draft-ietf-eman-battery-mib-05.txt
> 
> 
> A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
> directories. This draft is a work item of the Energy Management Working
> Group of the IETF.
> 
> _______________________________________________
> eman mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/eman