Subject: [eman] further comments on draft-ietf-eman-energy-aware-mib-04

From: Juergen Quittek <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 11:44:21 +0000

Dear all,

This is a bad point in time, just a few hours before a new version
of draft-ietf-eman-energy-aware-mib-04 is expected to be posted.
Still I a list of issue, that I post now.  When there is a new
version available, I will check for issues solved.

This email has a single issue on the text section.
In another message I will address isues with the MIB module.

Section 5.6: Energy Object Identity Persistence
  "Therefore, a specific MIB object, the
   eoTablePersistence, enables and disables the persistence
   globally for all Energy Objects information in the eoTable and
   eoProxyTable MIB tables."
I agree that identity should be persistent. But I disagree that ALL
entries need to or should be persistent.  It certainly makes sense
having the UUId of the local EO being persistent as well as UUIDs
Generated by a proxy for its children.  But this is rather
something to discuss in a guideline for UUID generation for EOs
and not when discussing persistency for this table.
Where I would like to see persistency are the writable objects,
particularly keywords, role, etc.  But what would persistency
Mean for non-writable objects, such as, for example, LLDP port
number.  Since it is not writable, there must be a mechanism for
determining the value of the object at boot-up.  I'd rather
prefer this mechanism to be repeated at each boot-up rather than
having it fixed by this MIB.  Similarly considerations would apply
To the PoE indices.

Thanks,
    Juergen

---

From: Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 14:07:28 +0100

Juergen,

Good point on the persistence of LLDP port number and PoE indices.
Do you have a list of objects requiring persistence that we could use? 
UUID, context (keywords, roles, importance), relationships, etc..

Regards, Benoit.
> _______________________________________________
> eman mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/eman
>
>