Subject: [eman] PoE use cases for draft-ietf-eman-energy-aware-mib-04

From: Juergen Quittek <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 12:59:21 +0000

Dear all,

I have a general concern on EO identification as proposed by
the ENERGY-AWARE-MIB in draft-ietf-eman-energy-aware-mib-04.

The MIB module discusses several potential identifiers of an EO.
Among them are a UUID and index entPhysicalIndex from the Entity MIB.
These two are both useful, but very much different in nature.

The UUID is a global ID, while entPhysicalIndex is only valid in
The local context of an SNMP agent.

Same considerations apply to the PoE port/group and LLDP port
Which are local IDs and the MAC address, IP address, and DNS
name which are (potentially) global, but at least typically
sufficiently unique within the context of a network management
system.

I am highly surprised that the current ENERGY-AWARE-MIB module
has the local IDs PoE group/port and LLDP port mandatory to
implement, which MAC/IP address and DNS name are optional.

This design looks like it was made for PoE switches as the
primary use case.  This is wrong and the requirements should
be reverted.  PoE indies should be optional, because they
don't make any sense outside of a PoE switch.

    Juergen

---

From: Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 14:26:10 +0100

Juergen,
> don't make any sense outside of a PoE switch.
Agreed. This is the reason why it's written:

         The Energy Object eoethPortIndex and eoethPortGrpIndex MUST
         contain the values of pethPsePortIndex and pethPsePortGroupIndex
         from the Power over Ethernet MIB [RFC3621  <http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3621>], if the Power over
         Ethernet MIB is supported by the Energy Object SNMP agent

So basically, if the Energy Object is PoE, and if the PoE MIB is 
supported, then you MUST give the link to the PoE MIB indices.
Reading this, maybe we could clarify this in terms of Energy Object. 
Something such as:

         If the Energy Object is a PoE port, and if the Power over
         Ethernet MIB [RFC3621  <http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3621>] is supported by the Energy Object SNMP agent,
	then the Energy Object eoethPortIndex and eoethPortGrpIndex MUST
         contain the values of pethPsePortIndex and pethPsePortGroupIndex
         [RFC3621  <http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3621>].

Does it solve your issue?

Same reasoning (and potential same solution) for

         The Energy Object eoLldpPortNumber MUST contain the
         lldpLocPortNum from the LLDP MIB [LLDP-MIB  <http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-eman-energy-aware-mib-04#ref-LLDP-MIB>], if the LLDP-MED MIB
         is supported on the Energy Object SNMP agent.

Regards, Benoit.

>
>      Juergen
>
> _______________________________________________
> eman mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/eman
>
>