Subject: [eman] comments on draft-ietf-eman-applicability-statement-01.txt

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2012 00:44:37 +0000

Hi Mouli, Hi all,

I have two comments on draft-ietf-eman-applicability-statement-01.txt.

Comment_1: On the 24th of June, see bottom of this email, I have had provided input for a new subsection that describes the Neighborhood Energy Gateways use case. Hopefully it is not too late to include this section in the draft.

Comment_2: The description of the IEEE 37.118-2005 [IEEE37118] is missing. This is a monitoring standard based on synchrophasors, like Phasor Measurement Units (PMUs).
Please note that an ongoing IEC standardization activity was defined that is focusing on the integration of this type of monitoring into IEC 61850, see reference [Mar11] below.

[IEEE37118] IEEE 37.118-2005, "IEEE Standard for Synchrophasors for Power System", IEEE standard, 2005.

[Mart11] K. E. Martin, "Synchrophasor Standards Development - IEEE C37.118 & IEC 61850", Proc. of 44th Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences (ICSS'2011), pp. 1-8, 2011.

Best regards,
Georgios

_______________________________________
Van: [email-masked] [[email-masked]] namens [email-masked] [[email-masked]]
Verzonden: zondag 24 juni 2012 21:39
Aan: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Onderwerp: Re: [eman] draft-ietf-eman-applicability-statement-01.txt

Hi Mouli, Hi all,

During the IETF eman WG meeting in Paris I had promissed to send a proposal text for a new section that describes the neighborhood energy gateways.
This text can be found below:

==========

2.x. Neighborhood Energy Gateways

This use case describes the scenario of energy management of a neighborhood, where a neighborhood energy gateway operates as a proxy that interfaces to the home energy gateways.
 It is expected that the number of photovoltaic stations (PV) on the roofs of the houses in towns  will increase significantly during the next years. Moreover, a large scale deployment of some renewable energy sources, namely wind and solar, imposes system integration challenges  due to their variable and often unpredictable characteristics.  Furthermore, current central systems used  for energy management are not able to efficiently
coordinate distributed renewable energy in higher penetration.
In order to increase the overall energy efficiency including the producers and consumers, neighborhood energy gateways can be used to manage the consumption of the locally produced energy as locally as possible, within the neighborhood and between the individual buildings/homes.
If the energy produced by an individual building/home cannot be consumed by the same building/home, then either another building/home in the neighborhood could be found to consume the energy or means need to be found to store it. This can be supported using the neighborhood energy gateways that monitor and manage the home energy gateways.
The EMAN information model can be applied to the protocols under consideration for energy management of a neighborhood.

        The essential properties of this use case are:

          . Target devices: Neighborhood Energy Gateways and Home energy gateways
          . How powered:  Any method.
          . Reporting: Neighborhood Energy Gateways can collect power consumption of a home via the home energy gateway and possibly report the metering reading to the utility.

This use case illustrates the aggregation of the energy use in neighborhoods. In particular, this use case differs from the Home Energy Gateway use case from the point of how the aggregation of energy needs to be managed, how frequent the energy objects need to be monitored and how they need to be managed.

=========

Best regards,
Georgios
________________________________________
Van: [email-masked] [[email-masked]] namens Mouli Chandramouli (moulchan) [[email-masked]]
Verzonden: dinsdag 19 juni 2012 8:29
Aan: [email-masked]
Onderwerp: [eman] draft-ietf-eman-applicability-statement-01.txt

Hello all,

An updated version of the EMAN Applicability Statement has been
submitted.

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-eman-applicability-statement-01

Most open issues from the previous version of the draft have been closed
at the IETF 83 WG meeting.

The remaining open issues are:

1.  Relevance of ASHRAE SPC201P to EMAN standards (comment from Dave
Robin @ WG meeting)

    ASHRAE standard has not been released for public review yet and
should be available in a month or so.
    Hopefully, the next version of the applicability statement draft
shall have a discussion on this topic.

2.  Scope of Applicability Statement draft

    This was discussed in the last WG meeting and some overlap of among
cases was considered fine.
    Secondly, the Applicability Statement draft should describe how the
technology developed in the other drafts can be applied/implemented.
    In that sense, Applicability Statement can be completed after
Requirements, Framework, MIB modules are stable.

Please let us know if you have any comments, suggestions to improve the
draft.

Thanks
Bruce, Brad and Mouli

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
[email-masked]
Sent: Tuesday, June 19, 2012 11:39 AM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: [eman] I-D Action:
draft-ietf-eman-applicability-statement-01.txt

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Energy Management Working Group of the
IETF.

        Title           : Energy Management (EMAN) Applicability
Statement
        Author(s)       : Brad Schoening
                          Mouli Chandramouli
                          Bruce Nordman
        Filename        : draft-ietf-eman-applicability-statement-01.txt
        Pages           : 30
        Date            : 2012-06-18

Abstract:
        The objective of Energy Management (EMAN) is to provide an
        energy management framework for networked devices.  This
        document presents the applicability of the EMAN framework for a
        variety of scenarios.  This document lists use cases and target
        devices that can potentially implement the EMAN framework and
        associated SNMP MIB modules.  These use cases are useful for
        identifying requirements for the framework.  Further, we
        describe the relationship of the EMAN framework to relevant
        other energy monitoring standards and architectures.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-eman-applicability-statement

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-eman-applicability-statement-01

A diff from previous version is available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-eman-applicability-stateme
nt-01

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

_______________________________________________
eman mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/eman
_______________________________________________
eman mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/eman
_______________________________________________
eman mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/eman

---

From: Brad Schoening <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 20:21:40 -0500

Georgios,

We very much appreciate your input on Neighborhood Energy Gateways, but as
mentioned previously, we feel they are covered by our existing use cases.
While there are a large number of potential specific use case, we have
tried to provide general ones. Could you provide more information
regarding why you feel this is not covered by our existing use cases.

It would help us if you could identify which use cases are closest to the
Neighborhood Energy Gateway, and in which ways you find them not quite
adequate.  The result may not be a new use case, but perhaps we can
improve an existing one so that it covers this one.

Best Regards,

Brad 

On 7/31/12 5:44 PM, "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
wrote:

>Comment_1: On the 24th of June, see bottom of this email, I have had
>provided input for a new subsection that describes the Neighborhood
>Energy Gateways use case. Hopefully it is not too late to include this
>section in the draft.
>
>Comment_2: The description of the IEEE 37.118-2005 [IEEE37118] is
>missing. This is a monitoring standard based on synchrophasors, like
>Phasor Measurement Units (PMUs).
>Please note that an ongoing IEC standardization activity was defined that
>is focusing on the integration of this type of monitoring into IEC 61850,
>see reference [Mar11] below.
>
>[Mart11] K. E. Martin, "Synchrophasor Standards Development - IEEE
>C37.118 & IEC 61850", Proc. of 44th Hawaii International Conference on
>System Sciences (ICSS'2011), pp. 1-8, 2011.
>
>Best regards,
>Georgios
>
>Van: [email-masked] [[email-masked]] namens
>[email-masked] [[email-masked]]
>During the IETF eman WG meeting in Paris I had promissed to send a
>proposal text for a new section that describes the neighborhood energy
>gateways.
>This use case describes the scenario of energy management of a
>neighborhood, where a neighborhood energy gateway operates as a proxy
>that interfaces to the home energy gateways.
> It is expected that the number of photovoltaic stations (PV) on the
>roofs of the houses in towns  will increase significantly during the next
>years. Moreover, a large scale deployment of some renewable energy
>sources, namely wind and solar, imposes system integration challenges
>due to their variable and often unpredictable characteristics.
>Furthermore, current central systems used  for energy management are not
>able to efficiently
>In order to increase the overall energy efficiency including the
>producers and consumers, neighborhood energy gateways can be used to
>manage the consumption of the locally produced energy as locally as
>possible, within the neighborhood and between the individual
>buildings/homes.
>If the energy produced by an individual building/home cannot be consumed
>by the same building/home, then either another building/home in the
>neighborhood could be found to consume the energy or means need to be
>found to store it. This can be supported using the neighborhood energy
>gateways that monitor and manage the home energy gateways.
>The EMAN information model can be applied to the protocols under
>consideration for energy management of a neighborhood.
>
>          . Reporting: Neighborhood Energy Gateways can collect power
>consumption of a home via the home energy gateway and possibly report the
>metering reading to the utility.
>
>This use case illustrates the aggregation of the energy use in
>neighborhoods. In particular, this use case differs from the Home Energy
>Gateway use case from the point of how the aggregation of energy needs to
>be managed, how frequent the energy objects need to be monitored and how
>they need to be managed.
>
>=========
>
>Best regards,
>Georgios
>Van: [email-masked] [[email-masked]] namens Mouli
>Chandramouli (moulchan) [[email-masked]]