Subject: Re: [eman] I-D Action: draft-ietf-eman-energy-monitoring-mib-03.txt

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2012 07:14:41 +0900

Hi Mouli,

We are trying to implement EMAN monitoring MIB and are having difficulty.
In eoEnergyTable, there are two indices, eoEnergyParametersIndex and
eoEnergyCollectionStartTime.  The indices are needed to show which
parameters and when it started and ended.  At present, syntax of
eoEnergyCollectionStartTime is TimeTicks.  In this case, in order for NMS
to acquire information, it is necessary to guess the value of the index.
Although I am not an expert in MIB, I think that certain regularity is
required for the index.

        eoEnergyTable OBJECT-TYPE
            SYNTAX          SEQUENCE OF EoEnergyEntry
            MAX-ACCESS      not-accessible
            STATUS          current
            DESCRIPTION
               "This table lists Energy Object energy measurements.
               Entries in this table are only created if the
               corresponding value of object eoPowerMeasurementCaliber
               is active(2), i.e., if the power is actually metered."
            ::= { energyObjectMibObjects 5   }

        eoEnergyEntry OBJECT-TYPE
            SYNTAX          EoEnergyEntry
            MAX-ACCESS      not-accessible
            STATUS          current
            DESCRIPTION
                "An entry describing energy measurements."
            INDEX  { eoEnergyParametersIndex,
        eoEnergyCollectionStartTime }
            ::= { eoEnergyTable 1 }

        EoEnergyEntry ::= SEQUENCE {
             eoEnergyCollectionStartTime       TimeTicks,
             eoEnergyConsumed                  Integer32,
             eoEnergyProduced                  Integer32,
             eoEnergyNet                       Integer32,
             eoEnergyUnitMultiplier            UnitMultiplier,
             eoEnergyAccuracy                  Integer32,
             eoEnergyMaxConsumed               Integer32,
             eoEnergyMaxProduced               Integer32,
             eoEnergyDiscontinuityTime         TimeStamp
        }

        eoEnergyCollectionStartTime OBJECT-TYPE
            SYNTAX          TimeTicks
            UNITS           "hundredths of seconds"
            MAX-ACCESS      not-accessible
            STATUS          current
            DESCRIPTION
               "The time (in hundredths of a second) since the
               network management portion of the system was last
               re-initialized, as specified in the sysUpTime [RFC3418].
               This object is useful for reference of interval periods
               for which the energy is measured."
            ::= { eoEnergyEntry 1 }

Best regards,
Minoru
--
Minoru Teraoka
Yokogawa Electric Corporation

________________________________________
From: [email-masked] [[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Mouli Chandramouli (moulchan) [[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, July 11, 2012 6:04 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [eman] I-D Action: draft-ietf-eman-energy-monitoring-mib-03.txt

Hello all,

An updated draft of the Power and Energy Monitoring MIB has been submitted.

The modifications in this version are:

 -  the use of eoMeterCapabilities object which can be useful to quickly infer the capabilities of an "energy object".
 -  closing the open issues that were discussed at IETF EMAN WG
 -  terminology definitions deferred to EMAN-FRAMEWORK

Please let us know if you have questions.

Thanks
Brad, Juergen, Thomas, Benoit and Mouli

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of [email-masked]
Sent: Wednesday, July 11, 2012 2:27 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: [eman] I-D Action: draft-ietf-eman-energy-monitoring-mib-03.txt

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Energy Management Working Group of the IETF.

        Title           : Power and Energy Monitoring MIB
        Author(s)       : Mouli Chandramouli
                          Brad Schoening
                          Juergen Quittek
                          Thomas Dietz
                          Benoit Claise
        Filename        : draft-ietf-eman-energy-monitoring-mib-03.txt
        Pages           : 81
        Date            : 2012-07-11

Abstract:
        This document defines a subset of the Management Information
        Base (MIB) for power and energy monitoring of devices.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-eman-energy-monitoring-mib

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-eman-energy-monitoring-mib-03

A diff from previous version is available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-eman-energy-monitoring-mib-03

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

_______________________________________________
eman mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/eman
_______________________________________________
eman mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/eman

-----
CONFIDENTIAL: This e-mail may contain information that is confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure and intended only for the party to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender by return and delete this e-mail. You are hereby formally advised that any unauthorized use, disclosure or copying of this email is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2012 10:25:47 +0900

Hi, Mouli

Thank you for updating your draft.

Now, we have a problem implementing EMAN monitoring MIB. 
In your draft, eoEnergyDiscontinuityTime is defined as the value of SysUpTime on the most recent occasion
at which one or  more of this entity's energy consumption counters suffered a discontinuity. 
But, we are confused which following case is applied to eoEnergyDiscontinuityTime.

1. sysUpTime at which one of the energy consumption counters is deleted 
   because network management portion of the system is re-initialized.

2. sysUpTime at which eoEnergyTable is deleted by setting up the eoEnergyParametersStatus to 
   destroy(1) or notInService(2).

3. sysUpTime at which one of the energy consumption counters is wrapped around.

4. other

Please let us know and add to the document.

         eoEnergyDiscontinuityTime OBJECT-TYPE
            SYNTAX       TimeStamp
            MAX-ACCESS  read-only
            STATUS      current
            DESCRIPTION
     
              "The value of sysUpTime [RFC3418] on the most recent
              occasion at which any one or more of this entity's energy
              counters in this table suffered a discontinuity:
              eoEnergyConsumed, eoEnergyProduced or eoEnergyNet. If no
              such discontinuities have occurred since the last re-
              initialization of the local management subsystem, then
              this object contains a zero value."
            ::= { eoEnergyEntry 9 }

Best regards,
Hiroto
--
Hiroto Ogaki
Alaxala Networks Corp.