Subject: [GGIE] Notes from IETF 100 meeting

From: "Leslie Daigle" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2017 17:31:13 -0500

Hi,

With thanks to those who were able to join for our lightning meeting 
before the IETF 100 Social Event, please find a copy of the notes that I 
captured (in text for ease of reference; PDF for ease of reading with 
reasonable formatting).

Also, stay tuned for further info on the pre-IETF101 workshop that Glenn 
mentioned during the meeting, currently targeting the Friday (and maybe 
the Thursday) before the IETF meeting.

Leslie.

- 11/14 Video at IETF
	- November 14, 2017
		- Agenda
			- Agenda bash
			- Review of the scoping statement
				- Video Content Handling and the IETF
				
				“Video content handling” (delivery, management, etc)  over IP 
networks, from production to distribution till the end user, covers a 
vast range of technologies and uses.  Its use of Internet technologies 
is changing traditional industries and Internet technologies at the same 
time.   Creative uses of technologies for video content handling, and 
opportunities for new uses, abound.  None of this will be realized 
effectively without increased communication between engineers working in 
different parts of the problem space.
				
				The purpose of the group is to provide a forum to discuss current 
issues in handling video on the Internet and with Internet protocols.
				
				The scope is deliberately broad in topics covered, and shallow in 
terms of purpose.  Problems are identified and discussed, and, where 
possible, appropriate venues for further discussion are identified.  
Work can be done to refine problem statements for individual work items 
that are proposed in IETF WGs or elsewhere.   This forum is appropriate 
for sharing and discussing, but it is not expected to develop protocols 
or technologies.
				
				Breadth of topic areas includes:
					. (end to end) transport, distribution and production of video, 
across multiple (potential) architectures,
					. the existing architectures
					. working within low-resourced networks.
				
				This includes signaling, MPEG multimedia, subtitles, containers and 
gateways/gateway performance.
				
				The important outcomes of discussion are:  knowledge sharing and 
help in framing problem statements and finding appropriate venues to 
address them.
			- Round the table — updates from people of matters pertaining to 
the scoping statement
			- Plans for meeting up in London at IETF 101
			- AOB
		- Attendees
			- Leslie Daigle (TCE)
			- Phil Sorbor (Comcast)
			- Magnus Westerlund (Ericsson)
			- Roni Even (Huawei)
			- Amreesh Phokeer (doing PhD at Capetown)
			- Ori Finkelman (Qwilt)
			- James Bulmer (Nokia)
			- Thomas Fossati (Nokia)
			- Pierre Pfisher (Cisco)
			- Eric Vyncke (Cisco)
			- Mark Townsley (Cisco)
			- Ali Begen (Comcast)
			- Dan Druta (AT&T)
			- Sanjay Mishra (Verizon)
			- Rachel Huang (Huawei)
			- Colin Perkins (U of Glasgow)
	- Round the table
		- Ori  — CDNI WG from SVA — making a linkage
		- Amreesh — video content deliver in low resource networks; 
interested in GGIE and CDNI; peer to peer caching
		- Glenn — wants to get more of a video voice in the IETF (e.g., QUIC 
designers should understand that multicast should not be broken)
		- Roni (Huawei) — video delivery, from service provider to end user. 
  Would like to see more optimization of video on the Internet.  
Interested in QUIC
		- Magnus — generally interested in video
		- Colin (UofGlasgow) — video related research for many years
		- Lixia — here for ??
		- Phil Sorber — video CDN at Comcast, interested in video delivery 
and linear video
		- Thomas — Nokia — delivery, CDNs, multicast, interested in all 
aspects of the pipeline from production to delivery to end user
		- James — Nokia — video personalization within video stream.  
Hyper-personalized, e.g., searching for highlights of particular videos.
		- Pierre  — networking, v6  — optimizing for video, working on 6cn
		- Eric Vyncke — how to optimize video delivery but also production, 
by mixing v6, routing and video
		- Mark — works with Pierre and Eric.
		- Ali — Comcast.  MPEG.
		- Dan (AT&T) — anything that can optimize delviery fo video over 
their network, primarily interested in edge (radio networks)
		- Sanjay (Verizon) — everything everyone else said ;-)   focused on 
wireline.  Wants to get content quickly to eyeballs (edge optimizing).  
v6 delivery is important
		- Rachel (Huawei) — video transport and how networks can delivery 
video better.  ITU-T video qoe stuff
	- Summary of key interests
		- Transport, e.g., QUIC
		- Edge optimizing
		- V6 as a way to do optimization
		- CDNs CDNI
	- Ideas for meeting in London
		- Glenn — would it be worthwhile to try to throw a video on the 
Internet workshop before the IETF (Fri, Sat or Sun).  Maybe bringing in 
other entities from the outside.  E.g., IBU, SMPTE
			- Roni — how will this affect what we want to do at the IETF
			- Glenn — will raise the voice of video at the IETF.  Also, bring 
in folks who are not traditionally IETF attendees (and hope to bring 
them into the IETF work more generally)
			- Dan — wants more scope narrowing. What aspect of video?  Qualify 
and quantify what kind of video.  Doesn’t want to boil the ocean
			- Mark — we have no representation on the producer side of video
			- Glenn — SMPTE is converting to IP — v4.  We need to raise their 
awareness to embrace v6 and its features we need to leverage in order to 
achieve optimization
			- Ori — suggests we should explore the relationship between SVA 
(Streaming Video Alliance) and IETF; SVA does architecture not 
standards.
			- Thomas — AMWA.tv (especially NMOS subgroup)
				- Advanced Media Workflow Association
		- Colin — what’s the goal?  video ops group like v6ops?
			- Glenn — goal number 1 is building up some sense of community; 
maybe a constituency group that meets at the IETF to share interests and 
info

-- 

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Leslie Daigle
Principal, ThinkingCat Enterprises
[email-masked]
-------------------------------------------------------------------