Subject: [IPP] Lexmark has reviewed the PWG Raster Format specification and has comments

From: Jerry Thrasher <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2012 09:02:37 -0500

In looking over the conformance section of the raster spec.,  a strict
reading of section 6.3 mandates ANY mfd that supports consumption of the
raster format MUST also be able to generate it…got a couple of problems
with this.

   1. I’m not sure we should be mandating what devices should and shouldn’t
   support in this spec. other than from the standpoint of “if
   compliance/conformance to this specification is claimed then ……”.  We have
   that in the printing section but not explicitly for scanning.
   2. Until we get a better handle on what the IPP Everywhere Scan (v2.0 or
   whatever) is and its schedule, I don’t think we should be requiring MFDs to
   support the creation of PWG Raster.  If we want to do that as a requirement
   for IPP Everywhere Scan, that’s fine.
   3. Additionally, there are “many” shipping printer and MFDs that could
   easily be tweaked to support the PWG Raster format, but would be a much
   larger delta to that tweak to force the support of PWG Raster creation in
   the MFD products.

I’d like to reword the (line 670) sentence to something like:

If a Printer supports scanning and the creation of the PWG Raster MIME
media type, it MUST also:

*Jerry Thrasher*

Senior Engineer, WW Corporate Standards
Lexmark International Inc.
501C14/035-3, 740 New Circle Rd, Lexington Ky 40550
Office: +1 859 825 4056     Fax: +1 859 232 7628
thrasher(at)lexmark(dot)com

-- 
This message has been scanned for viruses and
dangerous content by MailScanner, and is
believed to be clean.

_______________________________________________
ipp mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.pwg.org/mailman/listinfo/ipp