Subject: [IPP] What natural-language registry is used by IPP?

From: "Petrie, Glen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2012 15:59:05 -0700

Can someone provide me the reference for the natural-language registry
is used by IPP?

-- 
This message has been scanned for viruses and
dangerous content by MailScanner, and is
believed to be clean.

_______________________________________________
ipp mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.pwg.org/mailman/listinfo/ipp

---

From: Michael Sweet <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2012 17:04:27 -0700

Glen,

On Apr 30, 2012, at 3:59 PM, Petrie, Glen wrote:
> Can someone provide me the reference for the natural-language registry is used by IPP?

>From RFC 2911:

4.1.8 'naturalLanguage'

   The 'naturalLanguage' attribute syntax is a standard identifier for a
   natural language and optionally a country.  The values for this
   syntax type are defined by RFC 1766 [RFC1766].  Though RFC 1766
   requires that the values be case-insensitive US-ASCII [ASCII], IPP
   requires all lower case to simplify comparing by IPP clients and
   Printer objects.  Examples include:

      'en':  for English
      'en-us': for US English
      'fr': for French
      'de':  for German

   The maximum length of 'naturalLanguage' values used to represent IPP
   attribute values is 63 octets.

which leads to RFC 3282 (the replacement), which references ISO 639, 639-2, 3166, and 15924.

_________________________________________________________
Michael Sweet, Senior Printing System Engineer, PWG Chair