Subject: [IPP] Close PWG 5100.3 error check for IANA IPP Registry

From: Ira McDonald <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2012 12:04:37 -0400

Hi Mike,

Editing CWMP whitepaper IPP Proxy section today, I double-checked
all the PWG 5100.3 attributes.  It turns out I was originally confused by
the fact the 5100.5 does indeed register new 'xxx-actual' attributes for
originals like:

presentation-direction-number-up

So there are not any known defects of 5100.3 attributes recorded as
5100.5 attributes in IANA IPP Registry.

Cheers,
- Ira

Ira McDonald (Musician / Software Architect)
Chair - Linux Foundation Open Printing WG
Secretary - IEEE-ISTO Printer Working Group
Co-Chair - IEEE-ISTO PWG IPP WG
Co-Chair - TCG Trusted Mobility Solutions WG
Chair - TCG Embedded Systems Hardcopy SG
IETF Designated Expert - IPP & Printer MIB
Blue Roof Music/High North Inc
http://sites.google.com/site/blueroofmusic
http://sites.google.com/site/highnorthinc
mailto:[email-masked]
Winter  579 Park Place  Saline, MI  48176  734-944-0094
Summer  PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI 49839  906-494-2434

-- 
This message has been scanned for viruses and
dangerous content by MailScanner, and is
believed to be clean.

_______________________________________________
ipp mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.pwg.org/mailman/listinfo/ipp

---

From: Michael Sweet <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2012 19:39:36 -0400

Ira,

Thanks!

> Summer  PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI 49839  906-494-2434

_________________________________________________________
Michael Sweet, Senior Printing System Engineer, PWG Chair

---

From: "William A Wagner" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2012 11:33:49 -0400

Is there  call today?  I have seen no email although June F2F slides
indicated a conference call at 3 EDT today.  I do not recall this being
rescheduled during the meeting ; I think I would have suggested a Cloud
meeting otherwise, to try to take advantage of the momentum we had started
to gain in the Cloud Model.

Thanks,

Bill Wagner

---

From: Ira McDonald <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2012 11:55:58 -0400

Hi Bill,

Mike and I have just been emailing about IPP call this morning.

Mike's just starting into 3 weeks of email and I'm starting (at 2am
US EDT tomorrow morning) 3 days of Trusted Computing Group
meetings in Madrid, Spain.

You can have a Cloud call - I probably won't be able to attend
(due to Samsung tasks).

My only comment about the "progress" at the Cloud F2F is that
there are far too many first-class protocol endpoints in the Cloud
that the Client (and Print Manager) have to discover and talk to.

This is a nightmare for the IPP mapping in IPPSIX.  I've talked
offline w/ Glen Petrie about this.  At a minimum, I would like both
the Client and Print Manager to never talk to the Cloud Print
System Service (just make requests to Cloud Print Provider),
so that only 2 Cloud entities w/ *standards-based* interfaces are
ever exposed to the non-Cloud endpoints.

Cheers,
- Ira

---

From: "William A Wagner" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2012 12:41:58 -0400

Hi Ira,

Understood that it is not convenient to have an IPP conference call today.
It is too late in the day to call a Cloud meeting; we will have one next
week as scheduled.
It is good to hear that you and Glen are continuing to consider the Cloud
model; I think it would be beneficial to have these thoughts on the list.

Despite your putting progress into quotes (and it is your word, not mine), I
suggest that discussing the ideas and having them written down so that they
can be considered and perhaps rejected is progress. I further suggest that
perhaps "the cloud" is, like a black box, something with which Client and
Print Manager interface, where we can define the interface(s) and
functionally what happens in it, but really are not concerned with internal
structure. Once we define specific components with regards to interface and
function, they are no longer in the cloud (although they may be outside of
firewalls and may in turn interface with clouds). So, we may identify the
Cloud System Print Service and the Cloud Print Services  as representing
functional aspects somehow handled in the Cloud Print Provider (which is the
Cloud with which Client and Print Manager interface), but not as actual
"components" for which define interfaces. Or, if we regard things that we
are calling Cloud-based components as software which we are responsible for
defining (and perhaps we are), then these should not be in the cloud
although they may be connected to the Client and Print Manager endpoints
though clouds.

So perhaps I am agreeing with you, but with a different rationale. At any
rate, I think the discussions so far have helped us consider what we expect
to have  happening in the "Cloud", which in turn helps us to define the
Client and Print Manager interfaces.

Some thoughts, along with  those in earlier emails, to be considered next
Monday.
Thanks,
Bill Wagner

-----Original Message-----
From: Ira McDonald [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, June 18, 2012 11:56 AM
To: William A Wagner; Ira McDonald
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [IPP] Conference call today?

Hi Bill,

Mike's just starting into 3 weeks of email and I'm starting (at 2am US EDT
tomorrow morning) 3 days of Trusted Computing Group meetings in Madrid,
Spain.

You can have a Cloud call - I probably won't be able to attend (due to
Samsung tasks).

My only comment about the "progress" at the Cloud F2F is that there are far
too many first-class protocol endpoints in the Cloud that the Client (and
Print Manager) have to discover and talk to.

This is a nightmare for the IPP mapping in IPPSIX.  I've talked offline w/
Glen Petrie about this.  At a minimum, I would like both the Client and
Print Manager to never talk to the Cloud Print System Service (just make
requests to Cloud Print Provider), so that only 2 Cloud entities w/
*standards-based* interfaces are ever exposed to the non-Cloud endpoints.

Cheers,
- Ira

Ira McDonald (Musician / Software Architect) Chair - Linux Foundation Open
Printing WG Secretary - IEEE-ISTO Printer Working Group Co-Chair - IEEE-ISTO
PWG IPP WG Co-Chair - TCG Trusted Mobility Solutions WG Chair - TCG Embedded
Systems Hardcopy SG IETF Designated Expert - IPP & Printer MIB Blue Roof
Music/High North Inc http://sites.google.com/site/blueroofmusic
http://sites.google.com/site/highnorthinc
mailto:[email-masked]
Winter  579 Park Place  Saline, MI  48176  734-944-0094 Summer  PO Box 221 
Grand Marais, MI 49839  906-494-2434

On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 11:33 AM, William A Wagner <[email-masked]>
wrote:
> indicated a conference call at 3 EDT today.  I do not recall this 
> being rescheduled during the meeting ; I think I would have suggested 
> a Cloud meeting otherwise, to try to take advantage of the momentum we 
> had started to gain in the Cloud Model.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bill Wagner
>
>
> --
> This message has been scanned for viruses and dangerous content by 
> MailScanner, and is believed to be clean.
>