Subject: [IPP] Printing a PCLm file using ipptool.

From: Sahil Arora <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2017 20:21:12 +0000

Hi,
I am trying to test printing a PCLm file to a Wifi-direct IPP enabled
printer. PCLm is a subset of PDF and is supported by Wifi-direct printer. I
typed this command for printing:

*ipptool -tv ipp://HP6960... print-job.test*
The *print-job.test *file has this contents:

Here is the response I get when I run the job:

"print-job.test":
    Print-Job:
        attributes-charset (charset) = utf-8
        attributes-natural-language (naturalLanguage) = en
        printer-uri (uri) = ipp://HP30E171C3B82D.local:631/ipp/print
        requesting-user-name (nameWithoutLanguage) = sahil
        document-format (mimeMediaType) = application/PCLm
        copies (integer) = 1
   * Print file using Print-Job
[FAIL]*
        RECEIVED: 228 bytes in response
        *status-code = client-error-document-format-error
(client-error-document-format-error)*
        attributes-charset (charset) = utf-8
        attributes-natural-language (naturalLanguage) = en
        job-uri (uri) = ipp://HP30E171C3B82D.local/ipp/print/job-0006
        job-id (integer) = 6
        job-state (enum) = processing
        *job-state-reasons (keyword) = document-format-error*
        job-state-message (textWithoutLanguage) =

*EXPECTED: STATUS successful-ok (got
client-error-document-format-error)        EXPECTED: STATUS
successful-ok-ignored-or-substituted-attributes (got
client-error-document-format-error)   *
It says that the job failed because there is a
*client-document-format-error*. Are there some other ways I can get a more
detailed error message as to why the job is failing, what exactly is the
problem with the PCLm file? Since the file I am sending can be viewed in a
standard PDF editor correctly.

It would be great if someone could help here. I am currently working on
converting raster images to PCLm files, and there can be many errors with
PCLm files which the PDF viewer does not show but the printer will. Also,
if someone has some PCLm files which can be printed without any errors (and
having a strip height of 32 if possible) and can share with me, it would be
very helpful.

Thanks.
--
Sahil Arora
_______________________________________________
ipp mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.pwg.org/mailman/listinfo/ipp

---

From: Sahil Arora <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2017 20:23:17 +0000

> The *print-job.test *file has this contents:
 https://gist.github.com/sahilarora535/4790c41601a184391c9352aec49a793f

> *client-document-format-error*. Are there some other ways I can get a
> more detailed error message as to why the job is failing, what exactly is
> the problem with the PCLm file? Since the file I am sending can be viewed
> in a standard PDF editor correctly.
>

---

From: Michael Sweet <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2017 17:01:05 -0400

Sahil,

This error indicates that the printer thinks there is a format error in the document.  In this case either the PDF is using something not allowed for PCLm or the raster bands don't match the printer's PCLm parameters.

> On Aug 3, 2017, at 4:21 PM, Sahil Arora <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Hi,
> I am trying to test printing a PCLm file to a Wifi-direct IPP enabled printer. PCLm is a subset of PDF and is supported by Wifi-direct printer. I typed this command for printing:
> 
> ipptool -tv ipp://HP6960... print-job.test
> 
> The print-job.test file has this contents: 
> 
>     Print file using Print-Job                                           [FAIL]
>         status-code = client-error-document-format-error (client-error-document-format-error)
>         job-state-reasons (keyword) = document-format-error
>         EXPECTED: STATUS successful-ok (got client-error-document-format-error)
>         EXPECTED: STATUS successful-ok-ignored-or-substituted-attributes (got client-error-document-format-error)   
> 
> 
> It says that the job failed because there is a client-document-format-error. Are there some other ways I can get a more detailed error message as to why the job is failing, what exactly is the problem with the PCLm file? Since the file I am sending can be viewed in a standard PDF editor correctly. 
> 
> It would be great if someone could help here. I am currently working on converting raster images to PCLm files, and there can be many errors with PCLm files which the PDF viewer does not show but the printer will. Also, if someone has some PCLm files which can be printed without any errors (and having a strip height of 32 if possible) and can share with me, it would be very helpful.
> 
> Thanks.
> --
> Sahil Arora

_________________________________________________________
Michael Sweet, Senior Printing System Engineer