Subject: Re: REQMTS 4: definition of remote access

From: Scott Kelly <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2000 11:42:08 -0800

Hi Valery,

Valery Smyslov wrote:
> 
> On 30 Oct 00, at 18:03, Scott Kelly wrote:

<much trimmed...>

> > I think it may be that one common thread in all the scenarios described
> > is that the remote system is given an address from the local network.
> > That is, although the system is remote in space, once access is granted,
> > it appears to be on the same physical lan as the other hosts.
> 
> I don't think this is always the case. LAN might have public
> addresses, so that remote system would have no need to get ad address
> from the local network. We used to have such type of remote access
> for years.

This tends to support Skip's view that all access from a system which is
not on the same network is remote access. I see the logic in this, but
must reassert that this broadens the scope of this working group beyond
the intent of its charter. Perhaps what we need to do is qualify the
term "remote access" somehow, so that we narrow the scope to fit within
this working group's charter.

Scott

---

From: "sankar ramamoorthi" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2000 14:59:33 -0800

Hi,

I was trying to go through the charter again to figure out where it mentions
that 'virtual presence' is a MUST,
but could not find it. Isn't requiring remote acces MUST maintain 'virtual
presence' limiting? It takes away some remote access scenarios.

For remote access in the context of IPsec, how about a definition like

'remote access in the context of IPsec is when any one of the communicating
parties has to dynamically discover some
or all of SPD policy from the other party after suitable authentication,
before conducting the actual ipsec exchange.
The authenticating entity can choose to download more information in
addition to SPD policy information'.

This definition works well with PIC, virtual presence (if needed), addition
configuration information..

Welcome your comments,

Thanks,

-- sankar --

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Scott Kelly
Sent: Wednesday, November 01, 2000 11:42 AM
To: Valery Smyslov
Cc: ipsra list
Subject: Re: REQMTS 4: definition of remote access

Hi Valery,

<much trimmed...>

Scott