Subject: Re: [lisp] #15: chairs to review normative and informative references

From: "lisp issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2011 03:52:57 -0000

#15: chairs to review normative and informative references

Changes (by terry.manderson@…):

  * priority:  major => minor

Comment:

 Secretaries reviewed the references, this is their report.

 15.1.  Normative References

    [RFC0768]  Postel, J., "User Datagram Protocol", STD 6, RFC 768,
               August 1980.
 OK

    [RFC1034]  Mockapetris, P., "Domain names - concepts and facilities",
               STD 13, RFC 1034, November 1987.
 Not needed for implementation or understanding. Move it to Informative.

    [RFC1700]  Reynolds, J. and J. Postel, "Assigned Numbers", RFC 1700,
               October 1994.
 IMHO this is not needed at all. The RFC just explains the process to
 assign number to protocols. Delete it or move it to the informative
 section.

    [RFC1918]  Rekhter, Y., Moskowitz, R., Karrenberg, D., Groot, G., and
               E. Lear, "Address Allocation for Private Internets",
               BCP 5, RFC 1918, February 1996.
 OK

    [RFC2119]  Bradner, S., "Key words for use in RFCs to Indicate
               Requirement Levels", BCP 14, RFC 2119, March 1997.
 OK

    [RFC2404]  Madson, C. and R. Glenn, "The Use of HMAC-SHA-1-96 within
               ESP and AH", RFC 2404, November 1998.
 OK

    [RFC2784]  Farinacci, D., Li, T., Hanks, S., Meyer, D., and P.
               Traina, "Generic Routing Encapsulation (GRE)", RFC 2784,
               March 2000.
 This is not needed for implementation and is cited just when authors state
 that router supporting GRE may be already able to do header prepending.
 Move it to informative.

    [RFC3056]  Carpenter, B. and K. Moore, "Connection of IPv6 Domains
               via IPv4 Clouds", RFC 3056, February 2001.
 This is not needed for implementation and is cited just when authors state
 that router supporting 6to4 may be already able to do header prepending.
 Move it to informative.

    [RFC3168]  Ramakrishnan, K., Floyd, S., and D. Black, "The Addition
               of Explicit Congestion Notification (ECN) to IP",
               RFC 3168, September 2001.
 OK

    [RFC3261]  Rosenberg, J., Schulzrinne, H., Camarillo, G., Johnston,
               A., Peterson, J., Sparks, R., Handley, M., and E.
               Schooler, "SIP: Session Initiation Protocol", RFC 3261,
               June 2002.
 Similar to the DNS RFC, is not needed for implementation or understanding.
 Move it to informative.

    [RFC3775]  Johnson, D., Perkins, C., and J. Arkko, "Mobility Support
               in IPv6", RFC 3775, June 2004.
 OK

    [RFC4086]  Eastlake, D., Schiller, J., and S. Crocker, "Randomness
               Requirements for Security", BCP 106, RFC 4086, June 2005.
 OK

    [RFC4632]  Fuller, V. and T. Li, "Classless Inter-domain Routing
               (CIDR): The Internet Address Assignment and Aggregation
               Plan", BCP 122, RFC 4632, August 2006.
 OK

    [RFC4634]  Eastlake, D. and T. Hansen, "US Secure Hash Algorithms
               (SHA and HMAC-SHA)", RFC 4634, July 2006.
 OK

    [RFC4866]  Arkko, J., Vogt, C., and W. Haddad, "Enhanced Route
               Optimization for Mobile IPv6", RFC 4866, May 2007.
 Not needed for implementation or understanding. Move it to informative.

    [RFC4984]  Meyer, D., Zhang, L., and K. Fall, "Report from the IAB
               Workshop on Routing and Addressing", RFC 4984,
               September 2007.
 OK

    [RFC5226]  Narten, T. and H. Alvestrand, "Guidelines for Writing an
               IANA Considerations Section in RFCs", BCP 26, RFC 5226,
               May 2008.
 OK

    [RFC5496]  Wijnands, IJ., Boers, A., and E. Rosen, "The Reverse Path
               Forwarding (RPF) Vector TLV", RFC 5496, March 2009.
 OK

    [UDP-TUNNELS]
               Eubanks, M. and P. Chimento, "UDP Checksums for Tunneled
               Packets"", draft-eubanks-chimento-6man-00.txt (work in
               progress), February 2009.
 This is a tricky point. In principle we need what is proposed in the
 document, but this could block the publication as RFC.
 We should check what is the state of the draft and if it will go further.
 Must in any case be updated to -01 which expires 27th April.

 15.2.  Informative References

    [AFI]      IANA, "Address Family Indicators (AFIs)", ADDRESS FAMILY
               NUMBERS http://www.iana.org/.../address-family-numbers,
               Febuary 2007.
 This should be normative. it defines numbers and is needed for
 implementation.

    [ALT]      Farinacci, D., Fuller, V., Meyer, D., and D. Lewis, "LISP
               Alternative Topology (LISP-ALT)",
               draft-ietf-lisp-alt-06.txt (work in progress), March 2011.
 This should be normative since is needed to understand the architecture.

    [CHIAPPA]  Chiappa, J., "Endpoints and Endpoint names: A Proposed
               Enhancement to the Internet Architecture", Internet-
               Draft http://www.chiappa.net/~jnc/tech/endpoints.txt,
               1999.
 OK

    [CONS]     Farinacci, D., Fuller, V., and D. Meyer, "LISP-CONS: A
               Content distribution Overlay Network  Service for LISP",
               draft-meyer-lisp-cons-03.txt (work in progress),
               November 2007.
 OK

    [EMACS]    Brim, S., Farinacci, D., Meyer, D., and J. Curran, "EID
               Mappings Multicast Across Cooperating Systems for LISP",
               draft-curran-lisp-emacs-00.txt (work in progress),
               November 2007.
 OK

    [INTERWORK]

               Lewis, D., Meyer, D., Farinacci, D., and V. Fuller,
               "Interworking LISP with IPv4 and IPv6",
               draft-ietf-lisp-interworking-02.txt (work in progress),
               March 2011.
 This should be normative since it is necessary to understand how the
 architecture works.

    [LCAF]     Farinacci, D., Meyer, D., and J. Snijders, "LISP Canonical
               Address Format", draft-farinacci-lisp-lcaf-04.txt (work in
               progress), October 2010.
 This is present in the IANA section, hence should be normative for the
 code introduced in it. But is not a WG doc so it should possibly go to
 Informative.

    [LISA96]   Lear, E., Katinsky, J., Coffin, J., and D. Tharp,
               "Renumbering: Threat or Menace?", Usenix , September 1996.
 OK

    [LISP-DEPLOY]
               Jakab, L., Coras, F., Domingo-Pascual, J., and D. Lewis,
               "LISP Network Element Deployment Considerations",
               draft-jakab-lisp-deployment-02.txt (work in progress),
               February 2011.
 I would put this normative since has important information to understand
 the deployment and the architecture.

    [LISP-LIG]
               Farinacci, D. and D. Meyer, "LISP Internet Groper (LIG)",
               draft-ietf-lisp-lig-01.txt (work in progress),
               October 2010.
 Normative since is part of the architecture.

    [LISP-MAIN]
               Farinacci, D., Fuller, V., Meyer, D., and D. Lewis,
               "Locator/ID Separation Protocol (LISP)",
               draft-farinacci-lisp-12.txt (work in progress),
               March 2009.
 OK

    [LISP-MIB]
               Schudel, G., Jain, A., and V. Moreno, "LISP MIB",
               draft-ietf-lisp-mib-01.txt (work in progress), March 2011.
 OK

    [LISP-MN]  Farinacci, D., Fuller, V., Lewis, D., and D. Meyer, "LISP
               Mobility Architecture", draft-meyer-lisp-mn-04.txt (work
               in progress), October 2010.
 OK

    [LISP-MS]  Farinacci, D. and V. Fuller, "LISP Map Server",
               draft-ietf-lisp-ms-07.txt (work in progress), March 2011.
 Normative, since is an important part of the architecture.

    [LISP-SEC]
               Maino, F., Ermagon, V., Cabellos, A., Sausez, D., and O.
               Bonaventure, "LISP-Security (LISP-SEC)",
               draft-maino-lisp-sec-00.txt (work in progress),
               February 2011.
 OK

    [LOC-ID-ARCH]
               Meyer, D. and D. Lewis, "Architectural Implications of

               Locator/ID  Separation",
               draft-meyer-loc-id-implications-01.txt (work in progress),
               Januaryr 2009.
 OK

    [MLISP]    Farinacci, D., Meyer, D., Zwiebel, J., and S. Venaas,
               "LISP for Multicast Environments",
               draft-ietf-lisp-multicast-04.txt (work in progress),
               October 2010.
 Normative since it is part of the architecture.

    [NERD]     Lear, E., "NERD: A Not-so-novel EID to RLOC Database",
               draft-lear-lisp-nerd-08.txt (work in progress),
               March 2010.
 OK

    [OPENLISP]
               Iannone, L. and O. Bonaventure, "OpenLISP Implementation
               Report", draft-iannone-openlisp-implementation-01.txt
               (work in progress), July 2008.
 OK

    [RADIR]    Narten, T., "Routing and Addressing Problem Statement",
               draft-narten-radir-problem-statement-00.txt (work in
               progress), July 2007.
 OK

    [RFC3344bis]
               Perkins, C., "IP Mobility Support for IPv4, revised",
               draft-ietf-mip4-rfc3344bis-05 (work in progress),
               July 2007.
 OK

    [RFC4192]  Baker, F., Lear, E., and R. Droms, "Procedures for
               Renumbering an IPv6 Network without a Flag Day", RFC 4192,
               September 2005.
 OK

    [RPMD]     Handley, M., Huici, F., and A. Greenhalgh, "RPMD: Protocol
               for Routing Protocol Meta-data  Dissemination",
               draft-handley-p2ppush-unpublished-2007726.txt (work in
               progress), July 2007.
 OK

    [VERSIONING]
               Iannone, L., Saucez, D., and O. Bonaventure, "LISP Mapping
               Versioning", draft-ietf-lisp-map-versioning-01.txt (work
               in progress), March 2011.

 Normative since it is part of the architecture.

-- 
----------------------------------+-----------------------------------------
Reporter:  hartmans-ietf@…        |       Owner:                 
    Type:  editorial              |      Status:  new            
Priority:  minor                  |   Component:  draft-ietf-lisp
Severity:  -                      |    Keywords:                 
----------------------------------+-----------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/lisp/trac/ticket/15#comment:4>
lisp <http://tools.ietf.org/lisp/>
LISP WG document issues