Subject: [Maprg] Update on Root Canary project

From: Roland van Rijswijk - Deij <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2017 08:49:23 +0200

Dear all,

Since March of this year, we have been working on what we dubbed the
"Root Canary" project. The goal of this project is to monitor and
measure the effect of the upcoming DNSSEC Root Key Signing Key rollover,
a process that recently started with the introduction of the new KSK on
July 11th. The goals of our project are twofold: we want to monitor the
impact of the root KSK rollover on the global DNS resolver population,
and act as a warning signal in case we observe many resolvers failing at
key stages of the rollover process. Secondly, we are collecting
longitudinal measurement data over the entire nine-month period of the
Root KSK rollover, which we intend to analyse after the rollover
completes, to serve as input for future root key rollover events.

Willem Toorop from NLnet Labs presented an update on the project at the
IEPG meeting at IETF 99 in Prague, and we intend to present updated
results at IETF 100 in Singapore, where we can hopefully show that the
Root KSK rollover passed without a hitch ;-)

For those who are interested in the project, here are some pointers:

Project website:
https://rootcanary.org

Willem's slides from the IEPG meeting:
http://iepg.org/2017-07-16-ietf99/root-canary-iepg-prague.pdf

Test your resolver's algorithm support:
https://rootcanary.org/test.html

Preliminary measurement results for the RIPE Atlas part of our measurement:
https://portal.rootcanary.org/rcmstats.html

For those of you attending SIGCOMM 2017 in LA in August: we will be
presenting a poster about this project on the Tuesday (Aug 22) and the
Wednesday (Aug 23).

Best regards,

Roland

-- 
-- Roland M. van Rijswijk - Deij
-- SURFnet bv
-- w: http://www.surf.nl/en/about-surf/subsidiaries/surfnet
-- e: [email-masked]