Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-multi6-multihoming-requirements-05.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2003 07:16:13 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Site Multihoming in IPv6 Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Goals for IPv6 Site-Multihoming Architectures
	Author(s)	: J. Abley, B. Black, V. Gill
	Filename	: draft-ietf-multi6-multihoming-requirements-05.txt
	Pages		: 9
	Date		: 2003-4-17
	
Site-multihoming, i.e. connecting to more than one IP service
provider, is an essential component of service for many sites which
are part of the Internet.
This document outlines a set of goals for proposed new IPv6
site-multihoming architectures.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-multi6-multihoming-requirements-05.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-multi6-multihoming-requirements-05.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-multi6-multihoming-requirements-05.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: Joe Abley <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2003 12:34:06 -0400

> 	Filename	: draft-ietf-multi6-multihoming-requirements-05.txt

These are Brian's changes, plus Marcelo's changes, plus that extra 
sentence in the security considerations section. Source diff follows.

Index: draft-ietf-multi6-multihoming-requirements.xml
===================================================================
RCS file: 
/home/cvs/doc/ietf/draft-ietf-multi6-multihoming-requirements.xml,v
retrieving revision 1.3
retrieving revision 1.5
diff -u -r1.3 -r1.5
--- draft-ietf-multi6-multihoming-requirements.xml      4 Apr 2003 
00:55:37 -0000       1.3
+++ draft-ietf-multi6-multihoming-requirements.xml      16 Apr 2003 
13:40:47 -0000      1.5
@@ -5,7 +5,7 @@
  <?rfc compact="yes"?>
  <?rfc subcompact="no"?>

-<rfc ipr="full2026" 
docName="draft-ietf-multi6-multihoming-requirements-04">
+<rfc ipr="full2026" 
docName="draft-ietf-multi6-multihoming-requirements-05">
  <front>
    <title abbrev="IPv6 Site-Multihoming Goals">
      Goals for IPv6 Site-Multihoming Architectures
@@ -48,12 +48,7 @@
    <abstract>
      <t>Site-multihoming, i.e. connecting to more than one IP service
        provider, is an essential component of service for many sites
-      which are part of the Internet.  Existing IPv4 site-multihoming
-      practices provide a set of capabilities that it would ideally
-      be accommodated
-      by the adopted site-multihoming architecture in IPv6, and a
-      set of limitations that must be overcome, relating in particular
-      to scalability.</t>
+      which are part of the Internet.</t>

      <t>This document outlines a set of goals for proposed new IPv6
        site-multihoming architectures.</t>
@@ -246,25 +241,25 @@

        <section anchor="routerImpact" title="Impact on Routers">
          <t>The solution may require changes to IPv6 router 
implementations,
-          but these changes must be either minor, or in the form of 
logically
+          but these changes should be either minor, or in the form of 
logically
            separate functions added to existing functions.</t>

          <t>Such changes should not prevent normal single-homed 
operation, and
-          routers implementing these changes must be able to 
interoperate
+          routers implementing these changes should be able to 
interoperate
            fully with hosts and routers not implementing them.</t>
        </section>

        <section anchor="hostImpact" title="Impact on Hosts">
          <t>The solution should not destroy IPv6 connectivity for a 
legacy host
-          implementing RFC 2373 <xref target="refs.RFC2373" />,
+          implementing RFC 3513 <xref target="refs.RFC3513" />,
            RFC 2460 <xref target="refs.RFC2460" />,
            RFC 2553 <xref target="refs.RFC2553" /> and other basic IPv6
-          specifications current in November 2001. That is to say, if 
a host
+          specifications current in April 2003. That is to say, if a 
host
            can work
-          in a single-homed site, it must still be able to work in a
+          in a single-homed site, it should still be able to work in a
            multihomed site, even if it cannot benefit from 
site-multihoming.</t>

-        <t>It would be compatible with this requirement for such a 
host to
+        <t>It would be compatible with this goal for such a host to
            lose connectivity if a site lost connectivity to one transit
            provider, despite the fact that other transit provider
            connections were still operational.</t>
@@ -305,11 +300,11 @@

        <section anchor="multipleSolutions" title="Multiple Solutions">
          <t>There may be more than one approach to multihoming, provided
-          all approaches are orthogonal (e.g. each approach addresses
+          all approaches are orthogonal (i.e. each approach addresses
            a distinct segment or category within the site multihoming
-          problem. Multiple solutions will incur a greater management
+          problem). Multiple solutions will incur a greater management
            overhead, however, and the adopted solutions
-          SHOULD attempt to cover as many multihoming scenarios
+          should attempt to cover as many multihoming scenarios and 
goals
            as possible.</t>
        </section>

@@ -319,6 +314,10 @@
    <section anchor="security" title="Security Considerations">
      <t>A multihomed site should not be more vulnerable to
        security breaches than a traditionally IPv4-multihomed site.</t>
+
+    <t>Any changes to routing practices made to accommodate multihomed
+      sites should not cause non-multihomed sites to become more
+      vulnerable to security breaches.</t>
    </section>
  </middle>

@@ -368,18 +367,18 @@
        <seriesInfo name="RFC" value="1918" />
      </reference>

-    <reference anchor="refs.RFC2373">
+    <reference anchor="refs.RFC3513">
        <front>
-        <title>IP Version 6 Addressing Architecture</title>
+        <title>Internet Protocol Version 6 (IPv6) Addressing 
Architecture</title>
          <author initials="R." surname="Hinden">
            <organization>Nokia</organization>
          </author>
          <author initials="S." surname="Deering">
-          <organization>Cisco</organization>
+          <organization>Cisco Systems</organization>
          </author>
-        <date month="July" year="1998" />
+        <date month="April" year="2003" />
        </front>
-      <seriesInfo name="RFC" value="2373" />
+      <seriesInfo name="RFC" value="3513" />
      </reference>

      <reference anchor="refs.RFC2374">