Subject: New draft: Now What?

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 13:03:55 +0300 (EEST)

Hi,

As promised, here's a new draft which has been partially extracted from my 
MSc (also plugged in here earlier):

http://www.netcore.fi/pekkas/ietf/draft-savola-multi6-nowwhat-00.txt

(It has also been submitted to the I-D repository, and will probably
appear next week -- but I know you guys like spending time reading drafts
during the weekend, so here we go.. :-)

In particular the goal is to make us able to focus our thoughts a bit and 
try to break the site multihoming into a bit smaller pieces.

It's 15 pages; the abstract is below.  Have fun.

Abstract

   ROUTING ARCHITECT'S WARNING: flagrant IPv4 site multihoming practices
   cause a significant increase the routing table size, change rates and
   instability, the tragedy of the commons by encouraging selfish
   routing practices, the exhaustion of the 16-bit AS number space, and
   may collapse the Internet interdomain routing architecture.

   As there has been a desire to avoid similar problems as seen with
   IPv4, the use of similar techniques to achieve site multihoming has
   been prevented operationally in IPv6.  However, the long effort to
   proceed with other IPv6 multihoming mechanisms has produced lots of
   heat but little light.  This memo tries to list available techniques,
   split the organizations to different types to separately examine
   their multihoming needs, to look at the immediate and short-term
   solutions for these organization types, and to list a few immediate
   action items on how to proceed with IPv6 site multihoming.

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "You each name yourselves king, yet the
Netcore Oy                    kingdom bleeds."
Systems. Networks. Security. -- George R.R. Martin: A Clash of Kings