Subject: Re: provider-int geo aggr [Re: plug: thesis on site multihoming]

From: Dorian Kim <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2003 06:07:32 -0500

On Sun, Mar 30, 2003 at 09:12:56PM +0200, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:
> Cooperation from other ISPs is not needed: everyone can implement or 
> not implement this as desired, just as long as the RIRs give out the 
> addresses based on geography.

I guess if one stays around long enough, one gets to see all old arguments 
rehashed, regardless of how definitive the result of the last round was.

Geographical address assignment and aggregation was discussed extensively 
and rejected in big-internet mailing list circa 1994-5 during the
discussions leading up to the publication of RFC 2008.

The list archive is available at ftp://munnari.oz.au/big-internet/list-archive 

I believe there were also discussions on cidrd wg mailing list on the same
topic around the same time.

-dorian

---

From: Iljitsch van Beijnum <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2003 15:16:06 +0200

> The list archive is available at 
> ftp://munnari.oz.au/big-internet/list-archive

Cool. I've searched 1994 and 1995 for "geo" and I found a lot of 
debate. However, I did not find any definitive results.