Subject: Re: Resolving geo discussions

From: S Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2003 15:17:58 -0400

Hi I just joined this list but I'm going to be bold and jump right in. 
I've been searching for a good home for my thoughts and questions about 
community wireless networking; mesh networking; geographic routing; and 
the IETF. Perhaps this is the right place?

> Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:
> > If it's just "if you're going to do geo, beware of ..." I'll be happy
> > to include something like that in the upcoming rewrite of my draft.

As someone who is working in the CWN community to try to develop (or at 
least conceptualize) a good mesh routing solution (with a non-mobile 
network...), we are looking at geographic routing. I am aware of
     http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hain-ipv6-pi-addr-04.txt

what is the address for your draft / other drafts on the topic?

Brian E Carpenter wrote:
> I think it needs to build on the observation that there is no 
> congruence
> between network topology and geography to show that we have no way to 
> make
> geo addresses aggregate in practice.

Yes, this is where the key aspect of CWN differes from the regular 
wired internet. The community wireless nets are building out using 
Wi-fi so there are some statements that can be made about the maximum 
range of any given point-to-point link. One is simply curvature of the 
earth, a maximum line of sight range is IIRC about 50km given a 
reasonably high tower at each end barring mountain tops etc. (and even 
then there are limits).

simon

---

From: Iljitsch van Beijnum <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 11:07:05 +0200

On zondag, apr 20, 2003, at 21:17 Europe/Amsterdam, S Woodside wrote:

> I've been searching for a good home for my thoughts and questions 
> about community wireless networking; mesh networking; geographic 
> routing; and the IETF. Perhaps this is the right place?

Probably not... You may want to check out the IETF mobile ad-hoc 
networking working group, that one focusses on IP over complex radio 
networks. See http://protean.itd.nrl.navy.mil/manet/manet_home.html

> As someone who is working in the CWN community to try to develop (or 
> at least conceptualize) a good mesh routing solution (with a 
> non-mobile network...), we are looking at geographic routing. I am 
> aware of

> what is the address for your draft / other drafts on the topic?

My draft is about to expire or has already expired, but you can find it 
at http://www.muada.com/drafts/ along with the GAPI addressing draft.

I never quite envisioned general deployment of Tony Hain's geographic 
addressing, but it has one potentially useful property: it should be 
possible to aim antennas based on the addresses you communicate with. 
With the advent of "software" directional antennas this could be very 
interesting.

Do you guys do IPv6 on the community network yet?

Contact me off-list if you want to talk some more about this or the 
more mundane details of community wireless routing (I've always 
wondered how this is done in practice).

Iljitsch van Beijnum