Subject: RE: Fwd: Minutes / Notes

From: "Christian Huitema" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 17:40:26 -0700

> Actually, this leads me to think. If interoperation with unmodified
hosts
> is
> important, then all this discussion about alternative namespaces to
> identify
> endpoints is moot. At that point, there are precisely two mechanisms
> available:
> 
> i) Use multiple addresses, and if the link whose address you're using
for
> the
> connction fails, the connection fails.
> 
> i) Wse multiple addresses, and if the link whose address you're using
for
> the
> connction fails, use MIPv6 mechanisms to divert it to a backup
address.

iii) Use multiple addresses, one of which is a "virtual address" that is
guaranteed to be reachable all the time, albeit slowly. Use the virtual
address to start connections. Use MIPv6 mechanisms to divert to an
actual address.

I mean, it is possible to design virtual networks using for example the
distributed hash table technology. Or using a satellite network. Or a
really big server with lots of redundancy.

-- Christian Huitema

---

From: Eliot Lear <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 15:50:53 -0700

> address to start connections. Use MIPv6 mechanisms to divert to an

What do you do when the network hosting your HA drops dead?

Eliot