Subject: [netmod] RFC 6095 on Extending YANG with Language Abstractions

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 11:40:34 +0200

Hi,

I think this deserves to be forwarded to the NETMOD working group
since it is closely related to our work.

/js

----- Forwarded message from [email-masked] -----

Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 01:51:21 -0700
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
CC: [email-masked]
Subject: RFC 6095 on Extending YANG with Language Abstractions
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6095

        Title:      Extending YANG with Language Abstractions 
        Author:     B. Linowski, M. Ersue,
                    S. Kuryla
        Status:     Experimental
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       March 2011
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      75
        Characters: 140259
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-linowski-netmod-yang-abstract-05.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6095.txt

YANG -- the Network Configuration Protocol (NETCONF) Data Modeling
Language -- supports modeling of a tree of data elements that
represent the configuration and runtime status of a particular
network element managed via NETCONF.  This memo suggests enhancing
YANG with supplementary modeling features and language abstractions
with the aim to improve the model extensibility and reuse.  
This document defines an Experimental Protocol for the Internet
community.

EXPERIMENTAL: This memo defines an Experimental Protocol for the
Internet community.  It does not specify an Internet standard of any
kind. Discussion and suggestions for improvement are requested.
Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce

----- End forwarded message -----

---

From: "Ersue, Mehmet (NSN - DE/Munich)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 14:53:23 +0200

Hi All,

indeed, RFC 6095 is closely related to YANG, as it defines YANG language
extensions for Complex Types and Typed Instance Identifiers and aims to
ease the life of implementers if they follow a top-down modeling
approach and want to use abstract classes and inheritance. 

Thank you everybody in NETMOD WG and our AD Dan Romascanu, who supported
this activity with review and comments and helped to get it to the RFC
state.
RFC 6095 is an Experimental RFC and can be republished as standard track
document, possibly as part of a future version of YANG, if the
experiment results in successful usage. 

We would be happy to hear from folks who plan to use the language
extensions in RFC 6095 for modeling. Please send Bernd and myself a note
if you would like to have support for such a modeling effort.

There is an open source validation tool for YANG Complex Types and Typed
Instance Identifiers available at http://code.google.com/p/pyang-ct/. 
A 2nd implementation of the extensions has been incorporated into
libsmi, which is available at http://www.ibr.cs.tu-bs.de/svn/libsmi. 
Please see also the attachment for a potential use of the extensions in
RFC 6095.

Cheers, 
Mehmet 

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
> Behalf Of ext Juergen Schoenwaelder
> Sent: Tuesday, March 29, 2011 11:41 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [netmod] RFC 6095 on Extending YANG with Language
Abstractions
> netmod mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/netmod

Subject: Using YANG and its extension for Complex Types in draft-okita-ops-vnetmodel WAS:FW: RFC 6095 on Extending YANG with Language Abstractions
From: "Ersue, Mehmet (NSN - DE/Munich)" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>, "Linowski, Bernd (EXT-Other - DE)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 14:13:27 +0200

Dear Hideki,

as I commented in the OPSAWG session on Monday morning I would see it
valuable if you would use YANG as the modeling language for the
information model in your draft.

I believe the YANG extension for Complex Types, which has been published
today (a few hours ago :) as RFC 6095, will further ease your life as it
supports the top-down modeling approach with class inheritance. Base
classes you are using are already defined in this RFC and can be further
reused.

Please let me and Bernd know if you need help for modeling with YANG and
its extensions.

PS: Please check http://code.google.com/p/pyang-ct/ for an open source
validation tool for YANG Complex Types.

Cheers, 
Mehmet 

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of ext
[email-masked]
Sent: Tuesday, March 29, 2011 10:51 AM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: RFC 6095 on Extending YANG with Language Abstractions

        RFC 6095

For searching the RFC series, see
http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

The RFC Editor Team