Subject: [netmod] ip config issues

From: Martin Bjorklund <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2011 14:19:55 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

I have posted a new version (-01) of the ip-config draft.  It is now
possible to configure non-contiguous netmasks, as discussed
previously.

There are a couple of other issues, not yet handled.

* ip-01 primary, secondary, and preferred address

  Lada suggested that we need to specify the primary address on an
  interface, and he pointed to the solution of two router vendors for
  doing this.  Phil sent some links to Juniper's documentation.

  It seems to be that these two vendors have the same terminology, but
  different meaning of the term "primary address".  In one case it
  seems to be the source address used for all outgoing packets on the
  interface, and in the other it seems to be the source address used
  for outgoing multi- and broadcast (?) packets.

  Phil also mentioned "preferred address", which seems to be the
  source address used for outgoing unicast packets on the *subnet*
  (i.e., there can be one "preferred address" per subnet on an
  interface (I think)).

  So it seems there are two concepts here:

    default source on interface

    default source in subnet

  Q.  Is my understanding correct?

  Q.  If it is, do we need any, both, or more of these concepts?

* ip-02 iv6 auto-link-local-address leaf

  Lada suggested that maybe there should be a way to tell the server
  to not automatically assign a link-local unicast address for an ipv6
  interface.

  Q. Is this a useful (and implementable) parameter?

/martin