Subject: [netmod] [Ladislav Lhotka] Re: draft-ietf-netmod-routing-cfg-06

From: Ladislav Lhotka <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2013 19:08:01 +0100

"Muthumayan Madhayyan (muthu)" <[email-masked]> writes:

> Another comment I had is that both the main-routing-table and the connected-routing-table are marked implicitly as 'config true' meaning these are provisioned by the netconf client. This is not typical. The routing tables themselves are automagically created when the specific routing protocol is enabled.
>

Right, this has to do with the issue of operational state versus configuration, and also restrictions of the "leafref" type in YANG. The problem is caused by the fact that the main routing table will typically be, as you say, automagically created and cannot be deleted (i.e. it is operational state) , while other tables may be defined by the client, i.e. they are configuration. But we need to be able to access both in the same way.
And this would be impossible if we don't keep *all* routing tables as entries of the same list.

Lada 

> Any thoughts on that ?
> Thanks,
> = muthu

-- 
Ladislav Lhotka, CZ.NIC Labs
PGP Key ID: E74E8C0C

---

From: "Muthumayan Madhayyan (muthu)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2013 18:54:38 +0000

On 1/13/13 10:08 AM, "Ladislav Lhotka" <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> Another comment I had is that both the main-routing-table and the
>>connected-routing-table are marked implicitly as 'config true' meaning
>>these are provisioned by the netconf client. This is not typical. The
>>routing tables themselves are automagically created when the specific
>>routing protocol is enabled.
>>
>
>Right, this has to do with the issue of operational state versus
>configuration, and also restrictions of the "leafref" type in YANG. The
>problem is caused by the fact that the main routing table will typically
>be, as you say, automagically created and cannot be deleted (i.e. it is
>operational state) , while other tables may be defined by the client,
>i.e. they are configuration.

The conceptual tables may be created by configuration, but not necessarily
a 'routing-table' configuration. They could be created because a certain
protocol was configured ON or some feature (like VRF) was configured. So,
it would help if all these tables were read-only tables.

> But we need to be able to access both in the same way.
>_______________________________________________
>netmod mailing list
>[email-masked]
>https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/netmod