Subject: [netmod] Deprecated in Netconf/YANG

From: Balazs Lengyel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 18:36:58 +0100

Hello,
As an OSS implementer can I assume that model elements marked as 
deprecated in a YANG module are still available to the OSS?
The standard says:

"deprecated" indicates an obsolete definition, but it permits new/
       continued implementation in order to foster interoperability with
       older/existing implementations.

This does not state whether as an OSS I can assume the deprecated element is still part of the interface contract or not.
I think the RFC should declare whether a deprecated element MUST be or just MAY be there.

What do your implementations do?

regards Balazs

-- 
Balazs Lengyel                       Ericsson Hungary Ltd.
System Manager
ECN: 831 7320                        Tel: +36-1-437-7320
Mobile: +36-70-330-7909              email: [email-masked]

---

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 18:47:51 +0100

> I think the RFC should declare whether a deprecated element MUST be or just MAY be there.

Since this language has been borrowed from the SMIv2 world, the
semantics are a MAY if you interact with a revision of a YANG module
where the definition is 'obsolete'. The OSS should not count on this
being present. The text says "it permits new/continued implementation",
it does not say it requires implementation.

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder           Jacobs University Bremen gGmbH
Phone: +49 421 200 3587         Campus Ring 1, 28759 Bremen, Germany
Fax:   +49 421 200 3103         <http://www.jacobs-university.de/>