Subject: [netmod] Apps Area review of draft-ietf-netmod-interfaces-cfg-10

From: Tim Bray <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 21:44:09 -0700

I have been selected as the Applications Area Directorate reviewer for this
draft (for background on appsdir, please see 
http://trac.tools.ietf.org/area/app/trac/wiki/ApplicationsAreaDirectorate ).

Please resolve these comments along with any other Last Call comments you
may receive. Please wait for direction from your document shepherd or AD
before posting a new version of the draft.

Document: draft-ietf-netmod-interfaces-cfg-10
Title: A YANG Data Model for Interface Management
Reviewer: Tim Bray
Review Date: April 29

Summary: I see no objections to publication of this document as a
standards-track RFC

Note: I’m not an expert in Netconf/YANG stuff, so really my only comments
are on style, coherence, and XML-sanity.  However, the presentation was
clear enough to be be comprehensible to the non-expert.

Major Issues: Don’t see any

Minor Issues: Not obvious why all the examples are shuffled off into
Appendices, they’re pretty essential to understanding the spec.

Nits:

3. “The data model in the module "ietf-interfaces" has the following
structure...” - This is the first time the label “ietf-interfaces” has
appeared. Is it a well-known name from another spec or are we defining it
here?  If the former, please reference. If the latter, maybe say something
like “We define a module named "ietf-interfaces" whose data model has the
following structure...

3.1 “The data model for interfaces presented in this document uses a flat
list of interfaces.” - does this mean that the model in section 3. should
have “interface*” rather than just “interface” as a child of “interfaces”?
I have to say that this looks like a hash table indexed by name rather than
a “flat list” in the conventional software sense.