Subject: Re: [netmod] consensus all: timezone-location and draft-ietf-netmod-iana-timezones-03

From: Randy Presuhn <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2014 10:34:50 -0800 (GMT-08:00)

Hi -

>From: Ladislav Lhotka <[email-masked]>
>Sent: Jan 28, 2014 9:43 AM
>To: David Spakes <[email-masked]>
>Cc: [email-masked]
>Subject: Re: [netmod] consensus all: timezone-location and	draft-ietf-netmod-iana-timezones-03
...
>I don’t get why it is preferable to have the poor server
>send all this info (which can be quite bulky) instead of
>letting the client to simply *configure* the timezone,
>perhaps using the POSIX format or any other means
>involving UTC offset and DST rules, provided the client
>knows the geographical location of the device.

(1) That location information might need to be quite detailed
in order to cope with the situation in, e.g., Arizona.
http://www.timeanddate.com/time/us/arizona-no-dst.html

(2) What are the implications for systems that move around,
e.g. on ships and planes and trains and people's pockets?

Randy