Subject: [netmod] new issue: define the terms system/user-controlled instances

From: Ladislav Lhotka <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2014 16:46:18 +0200

* Yxx: define the terms system/user-controlled instances

** Description

The relationship between configuration and state data needs to be
clarified. The terms system/user-controlled interfaces were coined in
the interfaces-cfg draft and later adopted in the routing-cfg
draft. It seems to be a general pattern so it should probably be
addressed in YANG spec.

** Solution

The definitions from sec. 4.1 in routing-cfg could be used, and an
attribute introduced for tagging instances as system-controlled.  

-- 
Ladislav Lhotka, CZ.NIC Labs
PGP Key ID: E74E8C0C

---

From: Andy Bierman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2014 07:58:37 -0700

> attribute introduced for tagging instances as system-controlled.
I agree this is an open issue, one that has been around since the start.
I defined an extension years ago that allows clients to know in advance what
will happen if they try to edit system-controlled data structures.
(Also automates the server behavior).

http://www.netconfcentral.org/modules/yuma-ncx/2013-05-25#user-write.663

I like the terminology "system controlled" and "user controlled",
but sometimes it is not that simple (e.g. user can modify but not
create or delete instances).

Andy

---

From: Ladislav Lhotka <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2014 17:02:10 +0200

> create or delete instances).

This has to be discussed, although I think this particular property is already covered in the definition of a system-controlled entry.

Lada

---

From: Martin Bjorklund <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2014 10:04:28 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

Added as Y39.

/martin

Ladislav Lhotka <[email-masked]> wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> netmod mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/netmod
>