Subject: [netmod] draft-ietf-netmod-routing-cfg

From: Behcet Sarikaya <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2016 10:32:07 -0600

Hi Lada,

When trying to validate NETCONF get reply in Appendix D, I ran into a problem:

This annex introduces a namespace iana-if-types and none of the YANG
modules of ietf-routing-cfg is dependent on this namespace.
As a result, the NETCONF tool that I am using could not recognize
ethernetCdmacd when it comes to the line

<if:type>ianaift:ethernetCsmacd</if:type>

I know that iana-if-types is defined at the beginning of the rpc reply
but it seems like those declarations are simply ignored.

Do you offer any solution?

Regards,

Behcet

---

From: Ladislav Lhotka <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2016 14:16:17 +0100

> When trying to validate NETCONF get reply in Appendix D, I ran into a

I assume you mean Appendix D in RFC 7223.

> but it seems like those declarations are simply ignored.

Pyang validates this. You have to include the iana-if-types module into
the data model, as explained here:

https://github.com/mbj4668/pyang/wiki/Tutorial#yang-data-model

If you use another tool than pyang, then the procedure will be different
but the principle is the same - ietf-if-types needs to be a part of the
data model, otherwise the interface type identities are unknown.

Lada

-- 
Ladislav Lhotka, CZ.NIC Labs
PGP Key ID: E74E8C0C

---

From: Behcet Sarikaya <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2016 11:17:09 -0600

> I assume you mean Appendix D in RFC 7223.

No I meant your draft. Yes, RFC 7223 also has a similar annex, thanks
for pointing it out.

>> but it seems like those declarations are simply ignored.

I noticed that in RFC 7223 iana-if-types (mainly from RFC 2863, or
interfaces MIB) is imported, so I did not try it but I can say that it
would work on that example.

> data model, otherwise the interface type identities are unknown.

This is what I was pointing to.
I did check every YANG module that draft-ietf-netmod-routing-cfg uses,
in no place iana-if-types modules is imported.
I wonder how you got the <get> reply in Appendix D, you must have
added iana-if-types somewhere.

Regards,

Behcet

---

From: Ladislav Lhotka <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2016 12:53:52 +0100

Hi Behcet,

> No I meant your draft. Yes, RFC 7223 also has a similar annex, thanks

The example in "routing-cfg" can be successfully validated,
too. Actually, you can try it yourself (at least on Linux or OS X) by
cloning the following GitHub project and running "make validate":

https://github.com/netmod-wg/routing-cfg

> added iana-if-types somewhere.

The bullet list at the beginning of Appendix D in "routing-cfg"
specifies the implemented modules, and "ietf-interfaces" imports
"ietf-if-types", so that's how it becomes part of the data model.

Lada