Subject: [netmod] compact versus iterative representation of the overall schema

From: Ladislav Lhotka <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2016 11:07:59 -0300

Hi,

with a schema mount mechanism in place, there are two different options
for constructing the overall schema (their combinations are possible,
too):

1. Define schema mount as an extension of YANG library so that it
defines YANG modules, revisions, features and deviations as before but
also the way how they are combined into a hierarchical structure of
schemas.

2. Apart from YANG Library data, the server just specifies the mount
points. A client of an NM protocol is expected to fetch a new instance
of YANG library and/or subordinate mount points as state data from a
well-known location under each mount point.

I think that #1 should be available (alone or along with #2) because
there are cases when YANG is used as a data modelling language outside
the context of a NM protocol – Eliot Lear's MUD presentation is one
example.

Lada

-- 
Ladislav Lhotka, CZ.NIC Labs
PGP Key ID: E74E8C0C