Subject: [netmod] Description of the "prefix" statement

From: Per Hedeland <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2016 18:44:49 +0200

Hi,

I "happened" to read "7.1.4. The prefix Statement" in RFC 6020, and
found this strange statement:

   When used inside the "module" statement, the "prefix" statement
   defines the prefix to be used when this module is imported.

This is obviously not correct (it would effectively require prefixes to
be unique across all modules) - the prefix used when the module is
imported is completely up to the author of the importing module. I guess
it hasn't caused any great harm, but I think it would be a good idea to
remove this statement from 6020bis (it is the same there), if it isn't
too late.

--Per Hedeland

---

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2016 12:53:14 +0200

> remove this statement from 6020bis (it is the same there), if it isn't

As far as I recall, The original intention was this:

s/to be used/suggested to be used/

The main idea is to improve human readability by using common prefixes
unless there are reasons to deviate from using the suggested prefix.

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder           Jacobs University Bremen gGmbH
Phone: +49 421 200 3587         Campus Ring 1 | 28759 Bremen | Germany
Fax:   +49 421 200 3103         <http://www.jacobs-university.de/>

---

From: Martin Bjorklund <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2016 13:03:00 +0200 (CEST)

> s/to be used/suggested to be used/

I agree this was the intention.

> unless there are reasons to deviate from using the suggested prefix.

/martin