Subject: [netmod] Clarification request for NETCONF edit-config default-operation replace

From: William Ivory <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2016 17:29:59 +0000

Hi,

I'd appreciate clarification of how the  NETCONF edit-config command should work with default-operation set to 'replace'.  For the most part, the edit-config section is clear that config will only be replaced if explicitly overwritten (ie if you provide replacement config for given nodes).  However, the section on default-operation is less clear:

         The <default-operation> parameter is optional, but if provided,
         it has one of the following values:

         merge:  The configuration data in the <config> parameter is
            merged with the configuration at the corresponding level in
            the target datastore.  This is the default behavior.

         replace:  The configuration data in the <config> parameter
            completely replaces the configuration in the target
            datastore.  This is useful for loading previously saved
            configuration data.

Specifically, while 'merge' states that merge happesn with 'configuration as the corresponding level', 'replace' states that is 'completely replaces' the configuration, suggesting that it will remove ALL existing configuration regardless of what is explicitly provided as the replacement.  Is that correct, or is 'replace' meant to have equivalent semantics to 'merge' ie it will only replace configuration when an explicit replacement is provided.  In other words, if the latter case is correct, all it does is remove the requirement to specify the operation in each element of new config.

Thanks,

William

---

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2016 23:31:36 +0200

Try asking on the NETCONF WG mailing list.

/js

> _______________________________________________
> netmod mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/netmod

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder           Jacobs University Bremen gGmbH
Phone: +49 421 200 3587         Campus Ring 1 | 28759 Bremen | Germany
Fax:   +49 421 200 3103         <http://www.jacobs-university.de/>