Subject: question about section 3.6.1.1 simple s2k: how does preloading work?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 17:59:54 +0900

i have a question about the "preloading" of hash contexts w/ zeros
that is described in section 3.6.1.1.

section 3.6.1.1 says:

   If the hash size is less than the key size, multiple instances of
   the hash context are created -- enough to produce the required key
   data. These instances are preloaded with 0, 1, 2, ... octets of
   zeros (that is to say, the first instance has no preloading, the
   second gets preloaded with 1 octet of zero, the third is preloaded
   with two octets of zeros, and so forth).

i am trying to understand how this "preloading" works.  using md5 as
an example, would the values of the context state variables be:

  0x00452301
  0xefcdab89
  0x98badcfe
  0x10325476

for the second instance, and

  0x00002301
  0xefcdab89
  0x98badcfe
  0x10325476

for the third instance?

that is, does the preloading occur after initializing the context
state w/ A, B, C, D, (as in rfc 1321) and starting w/ the most
significant byte?

it is not clear to me from the text of the rfc (and the bis draft)
that one can tell how the details of the preloading should work --
that is, it appears ambiguous to me.  perhaps there is some general
knowledge that i am ignorant of :-)  

is this type of preloading operation for hash contexts described in
detail somewhere?  any pointers would be appreciated.