Subject: minor typos/points?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 19:40:07 +0900

below are some minor typos/points i came across.

setion 5.2.1 says:

   0x18: Subkey Binding Signature
         This signature is a statement by the top-level signing key
         indicates that it owns the subkey.

shouldn't this be:

   0x18: Subkey Binding Signature
         This signature is a statement by the top-level signing key
         indicating that it owns the subkey.

?

section 5.2.4.1 says:

   An implementation SHOULD put the two mandatory subpackets, creation
   time and issuer, as the first subpackets in the subpacket list,
   simply to make it easier for the implementer to find them.

but, section 5.2.3.4 says:

   5.2.3.4. Issuer

      (8 octet key ID)

      The OpenPGP key ID of the key issuing the signature.

and does not mention that the issuer subpacket is mandatory, while section
5.2.3.3 mentions that the signature creation time is mandatory and that it
is present in the hashed area.  i presume that 5.2.3.4 could read:

   5.2.3.4. Issuer

      (8 octet key ID)

      The OpenPGP key ID of the key issuing the signature.

      MUST be present in the hashed area.

section 5.3 says:

   Zero or more Encrypted Session Key packets and/or Symmetric-Key
   Encrypted Session Key packets may precede a Symmetrically Encrypted
   Data Packet that holds an encrypted message.

does the phrase "more Encrypted Session Key packets" mean:

  more Public Key Encrypted Session Key packets

?

section 5.6 says:

   Typically, this packet is found as the contents of an encrypted packet, 
   or following a Signature or One-Pass Signature packet, and contains 
   literal data packets.

does this mean that multiple contiguous literal data packets can be
compressed into a compressed data packet?  if so, how is an
implementation supposed to interpret multiple literal data packets
contained in a single compressed data packet?

section 6 says:

   The checksum is a 24-bit CRC converted to four characters of radix-64
   encoding

shouldn't this be:

   The checksum is a 24-bit CRC converted to four characters of base64
   encoding

?

section 6.1 has:

  #define CRC24_POLY 0x1864cfbL

should this not be:

  #define CRC24_POLY 0x864cfbL

?

if not, shouldn't the constant listed in section 6:

  The CRC is computed by using the generator 0x864CFB and an
  initialization of 0xB704CE.

be 0x1864CFB?

section 11.2 says:

   A V4 fingerprint is the 160-bit SHA-1 hash of the one-octet Packet
   Tag, followed by the two-octet packet length, followed by the entire
   Public Key packet starting with the version field.

strictly speaking, this seems to imply that only old packet format packets
can be used.  i presume that is not what is meant.  how about the following
wording:

   A V4 fingerprint is the 160-bit SHA-1 hash of the entire Public Key
   packet (i.e. the entire packet header and all of the packet body fields).

section 11.2 says:

  a.2) high order length octet of (b)-(f) (1 octet)

  a.3) low order length octet of (b)-(f) (1 octet)

what does (f) refer to here?

section 12.1 says:

  Note also that if an implementation does not implement the preference,
  then it is implicitly a TripleDES-only implementation.

what does the phrase "the preference" refer to?  does it mean if an
implementation doesn't implement a system of preferences?

section 12.7 says:

   We have reserver three algorithm IDs for the US NIST's Advanced

i presume that should be:

   We have reserved three algorithm IDs for the US NIST's Advanced