Subject: V4 signature Q

From: Erron Criddle <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 18:03:40 +0800

I was wondering if someone could please clarify something (again :) :

Regarding a V4 signature;

5.2.3 states that the third octec of a signature contains the public key 
algorithm. Would it be correct for me to say that the values of the 3rd 
octec of a signature packet can contain either:

	1   - RSA (Encrypt or sign)
	3   - RSA (sign only)
	17 - DSA
	20 - ElGamal (encrypt or sign)

I'm trying to work out where the digital signature algorithm is specified 
in the signature and this is the only place I can see it fitting.

thank you in advance for any answers...

Regards

Erron Criddle
Comasp Ltd.
ACN: 089 468 682
Level 2, 45 Stirling Hwy
NEDLANDS  WA  6009
Australia

Fax: +61 8 9386 9473
Tel: +61 8 9386 9534
Mob: +414/0414 800 888

[email-masked]
http://www.comasp.com

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 21:33:12 +0900

From: Erron Criddle <[email-masked]>
Subject: V4 signature Q
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 18:03:40 +0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>

> in the signature and this is the only place I can see it fitting.

the location looks correct to me for specifying the public key
algorithm portion of specifying the method of computation of the
digital signature.  i think the hash algorithm is also relevant as it
is also part of the process of computing a signature...but it's the
next octet over anyway ;-)

note the comment in section 12.4 regarding rsa sign-only keys that
says:

   There are algorithm types for RSA-signature-only, and RSA-encrypt-
   only keys. These types are deprecated. The "key flags" subpacket in a
   signature is a much better way to express the same idea, and
   generalizes it to all algorithms. An implementation SHOULD NOT create
   such a key, but MAY interpret it.