Subject: Signature Subpacket format questions

From: Edwin Woudt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2000 14:12:07 -0400

While implementing V4 signature support for a Java OpenPGP library, I
encountered a few things with some Signature Subpackets that were not
immediately clear to me. I would be very grateful if someone could
answer these questions:

* The format specified for both 5.2.3.18. 'Preferred key server' and
  5.2.3.20. 'Policy URL' is 'String'. Is this string terminated by a
  null value, like 5.2.3.14. 'Regular expression', or not?

* What is the format for 5.2.3.22. 'Signer's User ID'? A String like in
  the previous question?

Edwin

-- 
[email-masked]
http://www.cryptix.org/products/openpgp/

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 16:28:30 +0900

From: Edwin Woudt <[email-masked]>
Subject: Signature Subpacket format questions
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2000 14:12:07 -0400
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>

> immediately clear to me. I would be very grateful if someone could

i wouldn't take the following as definitive answers, but here's some
feedback anyway.

>   null value, like 5.2.3.14. 'Regular expression', or not?

since there does not appear to be any mention of null-termination in
the section on text (3.4), i interpreted "String" to mean that there
is no null-termination.  [ also because many of the field boundaries
can be determined by various lengths that are explicitly spelled out
as well as length definitions. ]

> * What is the format for 5.2.3.22. 'Signer's User ID'? A String like in

i interpreted this to refer to what is stored in the body of a user id
packet (5.11) -- so, if the contents of the body are text, it's
encoded in utf-8.  since 5.11 doesn't really say much about non-text, i
don't know about that case ;-)

---

From: Jon Callas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 14:38:42 -0700

>as well as length definitions. ]

You're correct -- there's no null termination on any of the strings.

		Jon